Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSX 10.4 install timestamp issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizzak

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
US
G4 DP 1.25ghz

So I check info the HDD, created date says Thurday, April 1, 1976. Happens to be AppleCo's birthday.

I changed the cmos battery before the install. Can I change the Volume created date somehow? Im trying to sell this machine and dont want someone thinging there is a problem with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Anybody with half a brain knows that your machine and OSX is not that old.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

So your saying you would buy a computer with 1976 timestamp dates on systems files and volumes?

Did you reset the PRAM after changing the battery?

Not just change the battery, but holding cmd-opt-P-R and waiting until you have heard the chime 3 times.

Although since the files have already been created, it would probably take a re-install after PRAM zapping to get 'new' correct dates on the volume & files.

I would not worry about it either, but if you really want to change the the resident date, you will have to erase and reformat the drive or partitions for the date to be changed.

When the computer starts from scratch, that is the default date for the system clock. To avoid that from happening, set the date and time before you format the drive or install any system software. Although, if you had the right disk utility that operates at the low levels of the disk you may be able to change those dates, but that is a lot of work!

....JIM....

Would the Unix "touch" command work? I think it will, but you'll have to go the mount directory and change the filestamp.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back