Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OST Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ke323

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2008
I am trying to get my company to switch to OST files becuase currently we are using PST's on a network share. I know that is very bad, but there is not much we can do right now.

Long story short though, these PSTs over the network shares are causing our file servers to run out of nonPaged memory. When researching solutions, I came across OST files. Now the only problem I can think of with switching to OSTs is the increased time for DR. Is there a way to backup exchange while excluding the users OST files?

Also any resources for OST vs PST files you can point me to would be greatly appreciated, I need a lot of leverage to convince my team to undergo this conversion.

Thanks,
Mike

Now the only problem I can think of with switching to OSTs is the increased time for DR. Is there a way to backup exchange while excluding the users OST files?

Backups of Exchange have nothing to do with .ost files. An .ost file is nothing more than a local copy of what's in their Exchange mailbox.

To get rid of the .pst files, the mail inside them has to be moved back into Exchange (and thus, into their .ost files). But it stays within Exchange.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

Alright, but wouldn't throwing all the mail into Exchange (I understand it isn't an .ost in Exchange) still dramatically increase DR time?

Adding a few thousand users to Exchange and all their email, will dramatically increase back up and DR time no matter how you slice it? Where does the properly configured come in? Am I missing something here?

The main reason my company doesn't want to switch right now is becuase adding all the users to Exchange and their email will increase the backup time and DR time 100 fold.

Also, is there a reference you can point me to that would help with backup and recovery of a huge Exchange server?

Thanks for the help guys, it looks like we are going to go with Symantec EV instead of switching everyone purely to cached mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back