Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSPF Metric adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakiraun

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2000
CA
Hi Gang

We have an interesting issue that's cropping up on our core routers. There are 3 T1 lines to another of our offices, and because of the gatway config on many workstations, a single T1 on one core (a Cisco 7507) is being preferred for most of the traffic, leaving the other core router (same hardware) and it's 2 T1s virtually unused. I was thinking I could increase the metric on the first one to make traffic prefer the other T1s. Would I be using the auto-cost and reference-bandwidth for this?

Dak

i don't think the auto-cost reference-bandwidth will work.
my suggestion is analyzing the cost of each link and then load-balance between them, i think you're actually doing this.
you can modify the cost with 'ip osfp cost' on a per interface basis.

cheers, gabriel.

Thanks Gabriel. None of the interfaces currently have a cost assigned. I can't find a reference to Cisco's default when there's no statement - do you know it? If not, I'll just go adding costs to all the interfaces for this destination across the two routers.
thinkerg.gif

cost is calculated in terms of bandwidth, actually the formula is 10^8/bandwidth i guess. you can change the formula with the auto-cost reference-bandwith command, however since ospf does not support load balancing over unequal paths what i suggest is engineer the paths so they end up with the same cost ;-)

from then on you can share the load between the routers.

hope this helps.

cheers, gabriel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back