Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSPC softconsole

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltw500

MIS
Feb 4, 2004
US
is anyone using the new OSPC softconsole?
We were just about to purchase IP softconsole and then came across the end of sale. the new recommendation is OSPC, just wondering if it is reliable or if anyone has any experience with it.

Thanks!

I'd avoid it for the moment... It's not quite done as a product.

We have it, and may be going back to softconsole.

The principal problem we have is that it takes Avaya's involvement to install the product. There's a license file you need to load that's keyed to the MAC address of the PC's Network interface. If you have to upgrade, repair or replace the PC or NIC, you need to re-install the software, and re-generate this license.

Additionally, the product was created by a German group of programmers. Not that I have anything against German programmers, but the manuals and help files are not entirely translated into English. (Which is the language I need.) Even the product acronyms are not yet translated. For example, the Network Busy Indicator, (a busy lamp for a station on a networked PBX) is not described as NBI. It's an NBA. Why? Because the name of the indication in German is, Netzweite BesetztAnzeige.

Wait a bit. The next version of OSPC should be better. For my money, it needs a few more minutes in the oven before it's done.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

To add something to the German part, it is an old Tenovis product
I know OSPC for more then 4 or 5 years so it is not a new product

Translation problems can be a pain but overall it is a good product

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Attmepting an installation today. on a CM 5.0. I have a single user application that I am attmpting. I have the new user license loaded on the CM. I have a fresh windos xp machine that I just built. I only have the new user license and nothing else. It appears based the fact that I dont have an addtional licenses that I will not be able to use any of the features how-ever I'm forced to install all the compenents.

It appears that for a single user the install that should be followed is "user-defined"

Does anyone have any experiance with OSP?

Adding to this...

WebLM

The documentation states that once you login to weblm (default username/password admin/weblmadmin also not in the doc)you simply follow the steps to load the license.

Once you login it directs you to change the password. easy then it directs you to the install license page. It gives you a window to browse for a license. What file am I supposed to use here?

The doc doesn't give you the info required to get thru this step.

Does anone know what licenses are needed to enable NBA. the docs state that AES must be present as well as a CTI license. It seems to contridict this later on in the documentation.

NBA is the network busy lamps. It allows you to see a BLF (Busy Lamp Field) for another PBX in your network.

You don't need the AES if you're just connecting to the local PBX. You would need it to see a BLF for a distant PBX that the OSPC would connect to as an attendant.

Carpe dialem! (Seize the line!)

I'll interject an opinion too. I just install/configured it for the first time and my first impression was what IT team was going come in and set it up for me! Turned out that although it does install a lot of junk on the PC that has to be running all the time, it does do the equivalent of old PC console. And personally, I like the customization that can be accomplished with where and how everything looks.

My opinion changed from, piece of sh*t to pretty good. I agree with the documentation issue. Other than the actual install doc, everything else is a word doc that someone put screen shots on and saved as a pdf! But, that's better than nothing I guess.

Now, the only thing I can't figure out is how to enter touch-tones when dialing voicemail. Anyone know how that's accomplished in OSPC.

On the Intergral 55 you needed to select an option for it

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

I couldn't figure out the touch-tone thing, so I opened a ticket. Per Avaya's Tier 4, touch-tone generation is NOT supported while OSPC is in Road Warrior mode. If you use the app in telecommuter mode, then you can use the buttons on the physical phone. Nice.

I'm still waiting to hear as to IF there is a planned fix.

So to quote dufus2506, "I'd avoid it for the moment... It's not quite done as a product." I'd agree with that completely.

Why do Avaya buy a product that is 5 years old, comes with incomplete documentation and isnt an improvement on what they already have and EXPECT us to sell it as a NEW product?

Avaya get a grip!

Give us an ACM version of the IP Office softconsole!

I have installed this product as per the docs I have downloaded from the Avaya support website.

However when I open the OSPC app I get a license error.
I cant find anyway of adding a license.

The docs say "make a note of the WebLM location that will be important for licensing later on"

BUT there is no mention of the licensing after that point.

Any ideas?

To get the OSPC License you need to first register your self with RFA using your GAI, Once your registration has been accepted, login to RFA use the same SAP number as used for the system Lic, You need to get the MAC address of the PC that the OSPC/WEBLM will reside this needs to be entered into the RFA form just as you would normaly enter the media gateway seriel number or IPSI serial number, leave out the - inbetween the MAC Address, there are excelent manuals avalable on the avaya web site that give step by step guides as to install,there are aprox 12 PDF's in total only the WEBLM and OSPC PDF's are required along with the last 3 on the list only 16 pages max on the last doc's to do with OSPC Directory import and Key block and blf creation, I am a major fan of the previos Avaya softconsole whilst OSPC seems at first to be a nice application I think it needs more time in the oven!

Do I need the NBA license to see if a phone local on my system is in send all calls? I can see when someone is busy, but not in SAC. I am not using any integration with an outside server.

In my humble opinion the OSPC is one of the biggest pieces of rubbish Avaya have ever put their name to. We were desparate for a replacement for the Softconsole, as that was grief stricken, and it is unbelieveable that Avaya could actually have come out with a replacement that is worse!
You have to licnce it on the PC NIC MAC address.
The see if a station is in send-calls use the admin "staus Station xxx" command.

Speak softly and carry a big switch

I bothered registering for this site just to add my very important perspective: Avaya's OSPC is GARBAGE... if you have to use it, I apologize. I'm wondering if there are any ways for me to turn in my ACA, ACS's, and ACE Certifications as they imply that I standby Avaya's products and I no longer wish to have my name dragged down by having an "ACE" next to it... due mostly to the complete lack of care on Avaya's part for the quality of any of their recent software releases.... most notably, OSPC.

DO NOT BUY OSPC... if they are going to improve this enough to be worth considering purchasing it, a name change would also be in order because this name is irrevocably ruined by being tied to this product.

Hi I also think OSPC is just rubbish!
I tried to install today a OSPC version, but all attempts failed. Due to the reason that it was not possible to establish a connection between the OSPC computer and ACM, although I was able to connect via telnet, ping and so on and there are no firewalls anywhere.
It is horrible if there are no error messages, the OSPC is just trying to connect in the Road Warrior Mode to the defined attendant extension, it is looking for the login without any interrupts! Any suggestion what could be the reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back