Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Osnap to selected dimensions only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anumet

Technical User
Jun 25, 2004
NO
We've recently moved from drawing in 2D to 3D. From 2D I'm used to using the osnap function a lot, but in 3D using the osnap means I often end up setting the wrong height on the object. Is there a way to set osnap to disregard the Z-dimension when snapping / only snap to the X/Y coordinates without altering the Z..?

Thanks!

Hi,

I've not used it before yet but i think if you go into the Options and go to the Drafting tab, there's an option under Object Snap Options (bottom left) called Replace Z value with current elevation..

Just click to tick and this should ignore any Z value you click on and use the Z value of the current ucs..

I hope this helps..

Cheers,
Paul @ basepoint designz ltd..

basepointdesignzltd

Odd, I only have "Ignore Hatch Objects" under Object Snap Options. (Acad 2005) Any idea if there's a line command to activate this feature?

Hi,

Sorry my bad, that was for AutoCAD 2006, forgot to ask or say. I don't think there is a 2005 or pre-2006 feature for this but i could be wrong. sorry..

Cheers,
Paul @ basepoint designz ltd..

basepointdesignzltd

If you don't mind hitting a button or typing a few keystrokes before selecting a point you could use the following lisp. It is similar to the ".xy" filter but saves a few keystrokes. When prompted for a point, you can type " 'xy " to start the lisp then select point; the routine returns the "xy" of the point to the command. Or assign the lisp to a button.

(defun c:xy ()
(setq pt (getpoint " z being filtered: "))
(list (car pt) (cadr pt) 0.0)
)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back