Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X, Outlook 2001, Cisco VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

nix45

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
I recently installed Outlook 2001 and the Cisco VPN Client 4.0 on Mac OS 10.1.5. Outlook works fine when the computer is connected to the LAN, but it can't find the Exchange server when its connected to the VPN. I can ping the Exchange server over the VPN, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't connect. I'm new to Macs here, so maybe I'm missing something. Is Outlook 2001 even the latest version of Outlook for the Macs? .

I read that Exchange support in Entourage will be available by the summer of 2003, but what should I do in the meantime?

Thanks,
Chris

...I think that the fact that Outlook 2001 running in compatibility mode might have something to do with it? What happens when compatibility mode starts? Does it start up the old MacOS kernel in a virtual machine, or something similar? If thats the case, I can see how it wouldn't be able to use the VPN connection running in native OS X. Does this make any sense, I'm a Mac newbie.

Chris

I am no expert, but went through this last year and discovered a few things. But I am connecting simply thru the internet and don't need the VPN.

We had to
1) since we have a firewall, we had to not only open a port on the firewall, but also adjuste Exchange Server as it uses randomized port settings when client is connecting over the internet. This should not be an issue if there is no firewall.
2) Create a 'host' text file within the Mac's preferences folder that is in the System Folder. The host file simply translates the exchange server name used in Outlook (e.g. server1) to the IP address of the server -- something you don't have to do when connected directly to your office network. I can give you an example if needed.

Outlook 2001 is OS9, works fine under classic. I think, but am not sure, that MS plans on upgrading their OSX email client called Entourage to allow connecting to Exchange Server -- rather than upgrading Outlook for OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back