Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X Defrag FAT32 utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalpencil

Programmer
Apr 8, 2001
GB
Hi,
Understanding that it is generally not necessary to defrag a HFS+ volume, does anyone know how I could go about defragging my FAT32 external, via osx?
I have searched high and low for a utility but there doesn't seem to be one capable of defragging FAT32 disks.
If anyone knows of one, or a way in which I can do this without windows then please, point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
DigiPencil

Do you access this external drive with any Windows computers?

If not, remove the data, and reformat it with OS X. Other than that, you will have to use Defrag from a Windows machine to defragment it.

If you have any OS X system files on this drive (I don't know why you would but just in case) do not try to run any Windows utilities on it because you can really screw up file permissions etc that OS X depends on.

Thanks, yes I do use the drive with windows but was hoping to find a defrag utility for os x
I guess I'll just have to make do with XPs deffrag

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back