Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X AGFA PPD Imagesetter issue 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck007

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
We are using a AGFA AccuSet 800 Plus Imagesetter here. We've been using Mac OS X with Classic and OS 9.2.2. In 9.2.2, all our applications can make use of the PPD for the 800, allowing proper linescreen defining and resolution for all our seperations. All the applications we use (Quark, Illustrator, Freehand, Pagemaker, InDesign, and Acrobat) can print and make use of the Print dialog boxes just fine, all the options from the PPD are availible.
This is not the same in OS X. If we use the OS 9 PPD, we get options. If we use a PPD for anopther AGFA product, we can still print, and we get the resolution options. I wanted to find out if anyone has seen a good imagesetter PPD that works with this model AGFA or can help troubleshoot? Are there any specific forums or FAQs in this area. I have visited the AGFA website and there is very llittle to no support for this product in OS X. Apple's website has provided a lot of information for general printing procedures, but nothing specific.

.:TUCK:.

I suppose, but that's just an extra step and more work.

however... I GOT IT TO WORK! *yay*

somewhere up above this post, there's one that says to use the generic imagesetter ppd. I think from Tuck. I tried that, but in the print dialog box. Never dawned on me to go into system prefrences and do it there.

so you click on system prefrences, click on print and fax, click set up printers choose your printer and click show info then click on the drop down bar choose printer model and then below it will have a ppd in a drow down bar, change that ppd to generic imagesetter. Apply changes and it should work. i still have a problem with quark (both 5 and 6) that it doesn't center the doc on the film, it will always cut off part of it. to avoid this i always have to set a 1" bleed around it whtihc will puch it more towards the center. i also have the problem of about a 1/2 inch clear border along the edge of the film. not sure if this is supposed to be there as i know nothing aout imagesetters, but the film stripper insists that it can be fixed (tho the guy also insisted that it only started happening when i got there and started using quark all the time instead of pagemaker) but HAHA! i showed him! it stilld oes it from the oehr mac in pagemaker, AND from the PC in ANY PROGRAM i send to film. so if i try to do naythign biger than 11, i get stuff chopped off (at least thru quark.. i don't recall with pagemaker, ebcause i'm not as comfortable with that program and only use it if the job's already done in it and i'm just making changes)

but i hope that helps ou kopyrite!

:)3

Thanks scarletthaze I will try that on Monday, let you know if it works on my setup

Hi there
I have read all of these posts, but I still have problem with AGFA Proset 9800 PPD for OS X. I modified the PPD as said CLAUDE72 in this forum, but the PPD still doesn't work. :(
The format version of my PPD is 4.2 and I couldn't set corectly AGFA Proset 9800 in Printer Setup Utility under OS X.
Does anyone know how I can get AGFA Proset PPD version 4.3 wich is correct for OS X?
thank you in advance.

We are having intermittent PostScript errors printing with FreeHand MX 11.0.2 and QuarkXPress 6.1r0 (haven't used any other apps thus far) from Mac OS X 10.2.8 to our Agfa AccuSet 1000 via the Viper RIP 1.9.2. Our other Mac OS 9 computer never has such problems.

We recently upgraded one of our OS 9 Macs to Jaguar and have just started going through Mac OS X growing pains.

We are using the PPD mentioned above, "AGFA AccuSet 1000-A." But we have chronic, random PostScript errors that we turn right around and print again with no problem. The Viper log shows various entries:

1) It will just hang at START OF JOB, until we cancel.

2) Sometimes the hang at START OF JOB will have an additional line:

Got PAPType of 111

3) Sometimes after all plates have successfully imaged, we will get a hang following the line:

Got PAPType of 119

... whereupon we just cancel, but the hang annoyingly holds up a lot of other jobs in the queue if we aren't paying attention.

4) Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: noload
or
Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: rtnoload
or
Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: t
or
Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: sb
or
Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: el

5) Only once, we got:

Got PAPType of 103
Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: bd

6) Only once, we got:

Error: stackunderflow; OffendingCommand: ge

To repeat, whenever one of these errors occurs, we immediately print again and the job runs fine.

We ran Print Center Repair, but no help. Are there any other PPDs we might try? Or anything else we could do?

H-E-L-P! ... Thanks!

Hi guys

thanks to all, nice to know i'm not alone wiv the upgrade problems and bosses

so nu g5,osx 10.3, xpress6, viper 1.9.2, accuset 800plus
after folowing all the above advice, the rip still output at 12oo dpi, so i copied a ppd for the accuset, opened it in textedit, did a search for 1200 and changed it to 2400, i also changed the nickname to 'super' so i could find it later, then i dropped it on file buddy and made the type/creator the same as an adobe agfa ppd, then i put the 'super' ppd into the libery and system and xpress ppd folders, then went back to the print and fax pane and reset all the printer list to the 'super' ppd, which worked

so hope this of help and thanks again

Hi

I have been ata company for 3 weeks they have an Agfa Apogee taipan rip tht seemed to be working just fine, we then had to start back saving files from Cs illustrator an Quark down to 5 an illustratot 8 the rip an the network started to get very slow an i had issues arising all over.

Now the momen i plug the network cable in teh back of the mac with the Taipan on the mac hangs occasionally I will get an hour out of it sometiems it will let me print one job to it an then it will just crash an we aare talking major system crash black screen restart your mac the lot.

I am new to agfa an the rip software used to onyx an heidelberg an certainly not used to the rude ill mneeared lack of help suport or even common courtesy agfa doll out on there advise line.

I can postcript files burn to cd an place them in the rpint drive that way but sometimes that only sees one plate of the postrcipt not all. Have tried making pdf's an dropping them in to the same issues. wehn i crawled out of thre yesterday having had a techy in all day an gettign no further i am beign told i have to suck it an see if it works great if not postcript an use hot folder or cd method if that fails try pdf an etc etce etc .

We all now theses days presses on site tiem is off teh essence taking an hour to send a simple file si not an option please help i am at my wits end an have no idea what to do next.

I have reinstalled panther twice an have tentaivley thougt towards tiger but right now im beign made to look a complete moron in a new firm an am working 58 hour weeks tryign to find an easy fix

before im fired or stepping into my grave as anyone any ideas

thankyou so much

Posion who is in tears

HELP!
I’m using a Star 400 rip with an Acuset 1000, about a year ago I suddenly lost the ability to image anything longer than 20’’. If I try to print a three page spread of 8.5 x 11 pages it rotates 90 degrees and clips the image, my preview in the print dialog appears fine (just as it would if I was printing a two page spread. I have tried creating one “long” document 25.5’’ still wont print, in fact anything longer than 20’’ Will NOT print.
Any ideas?

I am running OS 10.4.3 sending to a accuset1000 plus with a Viper 1.9.2.
I have loaded the new ppd from agfa website the four color process job came through fine except it did not hold my screen angles.
I think i have the ppd right . ppd that i have loaded agfa accuset 1000 AI osx. any help would be appreciated

Hi i have a ACCUSET 800 PLUS and need calibrate bud i dont nothing about AGFA sistem and go to the support in the agfa page bud not found nothing about this, is posible help my please, the only need is the steps and who soft i need for calibrate my machine, i work in a label company anf use flexografic printer machine, i need controler my dot and the only way is with the calibrate, thankas for eny help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back