Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS X AGFA PPD Imagesetter issue 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck007

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
We are using a AGFA AccuSet 800 Plus Imagesetter here. We've been using Mac OS X with Classic and OS 9.2.2. In 9.2.2, all our applications can make use of the PPD for the 800, allowing proper linescreen defining and resolution for all our seperations. All the applications we use (Quark, Illustrator, Freehand, Pagemaker, InDesign, and Acrobat) can print and make use of the Print dialog boxes just fine, all the options from the PPD are availible.
This is not the same in OS X. If we use the OS 9 PPD, we get options. If we use a PPD for anopther AGFA product, we can still print, and we get the resolution options. I wanted to find out if anyone has seen a good imagesetter PPD that works with this model AGFA or can help troubleshoot? Are there any specific forums or FAQs in this area. I have visited the AGFA website and there is very llittle to no support for this product in OS X. Apple's website has provided a lot of information for general printing procedures, but nothing specific.

.:TUCK:.

Hi you'll have to bare with me because i'm new to this forum business.

I'v been having problems along these lines myself . I run OSX 10.2.8 and have a star400 Rip + AGFA proset 9800 (i know! very old equipment). For some time i could not get any film to print but after reading through this forum i collected the updated PPDs from Adobes dowload site and Hay presto every thing seemed fine. Until i shutdown my stuff at the end of the day and came back the next day now i have the same problem no matter what PPD i am using. Any help much appreciated.

(Process light flashes on rip, then as it goes from rip to setter both lights flash on rip and setter beeps and resets itself)

Oh boy! I have finally had time to fix my OS X and was able to try out Chuck's PPD suggestion. I am running film out of OS X with no problems! I ran into the same propblem with Quark, no Agfa PPD, but as was suggested the General Imagesetter PPD works Fine.

I invested a little bit of time to try and figure out how to resolve this, but I couldn't.

GMGAQUA:
I was having something of a similar problem with my Network Settings, see other posts. I eneded up doing a Clean Install, but I would run Disk Utilities and Repair Permissions, try that first.

Overview of Viper 3.02/AgfasetPPC 4.1/PSE 12.1.1 R6.9 /Calibrator 4.1 PPD's
i apologize for the slight change of topic

My problem is getting my calibration curves to work. I suspect that my PPD or application (Quark 5,OS9.2) is over-riding some setting that I have D/L to RIP. (Accuset 1000W)
Basically the way I understand this is that you generate your curves with calibrator, D/L with agfaset to RIP. One can set many options via the EDF files D/L them to RIP and then generate a PPD file. So I dont understand why folks are looking for PPD files when one can make their own.

Having said that, I find the Agfa documentation hard to read due to repeating information. What exactly needs to be in the boot file for settings to "stick"?
I also cant get the strip name to work (flat optimizer.EDF)
likely something is overriding my efforts. I am now going to examine my PPD files.
K.

HEEEELPPP, I have the common problemo.
Agfaset 1000 Vipa Rip 1.9.2
Want to run Quark 6 files in OSX to film.
Please help, getting desperate, any answers, other than purchase new rip. If Purchase new rip, which one best value for Money.

Wadoruy,

You will need to set up you Agfa in the Print Center first. Review this forum on where to get the latest PPD from Adobe, yes adobe has the latest and best working PPDs.
When you have the printing set up, there are a few tricks to Quark. Quark will not go find the PPDs for you, use the PPD Manager in Utilities to find the PPDs you're using. Only hsve the PPDs active that you need. This will help keep confusion down when running a job. I have found, when running a print, always hit the Printer... button to modify Printer specific properties. Make sure to double check everything is set the way you want it and even reselect it to make sure. I have found, even saved settings do not hold and sometimes nothing will take as you need it if you don't double check. That should get you started, but if you have more questions, be specific and we can help more.

If you are having trouble getting into the Agfa website then try this:
Go to the click the support link at the top right side of the page.

There are three different drop down windows that you can use in the resulting page that let you search their site.
Use the bottom drop down window and select Viper. You will be brought to a page that then offers more selections. Just pick the catagory that you want.

If anybody is having trouble with calibration or is confused with the user manuals that Afga supplied, on the Agfa site there are quite a few tech info sheets that take you through the process step by step.

There are at least 3 different ways to enable calibration with the Viper and they all work differently and of the different methods, the one that you DON'T want to use is the custom PPD method. Remember, only use ONE method of calibration.

Good Luck
Chuck

I've been following this forum trying to get Quark 6 to print properly on an AGFA Accuset 1000 running a Viper Rip 1.9.2. I went to the Adobe website and got the updated PPD (1000W-A). Installed the printer in my print center just fine. But now when I print in Quark 6 there seems to be a marginal boarder around the inside ot the page. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ok, i have been following this forum for quite some time. i have an accuset 800 and a viper 1.5. have the same problems of everyone else. OSX, Quark6, Indesign etc. The best solution, previously provided i believe is to simply upgrade your hardware to a PS level 3 rip. i finally found a solution that fits the pocketbook. Check out for roughly $4500 you can get
Harlequin RIP - new Mac version, level 3 software RIP, version 6.0, PCI interface board, imagesetter interface cable, USB security dongle, manuals on CD - $4,750.00

~ Manufacture warranties apply for all new hardware/software
~ 90-days free technical phone support

I know a printer and graphics company who recently purchased this system for thier Accuset 1500, he says it works perfectly, you will have the ability to image PDF files as well as being compatible with all the new software and operating systems. here is a cool part, only one software application for calibration and ripping and only one accueset PPD for all your programs. In the end, work arounds will end up costing you more money, they will fail when you need them to work the most. What is the value of a lost client? after just about 20 years in electronic prepress, this may be a very affordable alternative to Agfa solutions which will never arrive for your older equipment. FYI you can run this on a PC as well as a G-3 Mac

when I print in Quark 6 there seems to be a marginal boarder around the inside ot the page. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Could you describe an example document and the setting you are using to print it with that create the border you are describing? How are your bleeds set up, are you reducing to page size or changing the propertions? Are you using registration, and at what offset? Is it an entire Quark document or does it have elements from other programs?

Here is a typlical 8.5" x 11" print job and rather than list all the items in my print dialog window, I'll just list the one that I've changed:

Layout - Registration = Centered
- Offset = 6pt

Setup - Paper Size = Custom
- Width = 14"
- Height = 14"
- Paper Offset = .5"
- Paper Gap = 2"
- Paper Position = Center
- Orientation = Portrait

Options - Overprint EPS Black = On
- Full Resolution TIFF Output = On
- Binary

Bleed - Type = Symmetric
- Clip At Bleed = On
- Amount = 0"

OPI - OPI Active = On
- TIFF - Include Images = On
- EPS - Include Images = On

As far as the document itself, it has both typeset info in Quark and graphics form Illustrator 9 in .eps format.

Sounds interesting, I would be running that with these types of setting (we use 13.3" Konica film, what size roll do you guys use?):
Layout - Registration = Centered
              - Offset = 6pt
Setup - Paper Size = Custom
            - Width = 12"
            - Height = 9.5"
            - Paper Offset = Defualt
            - Paper Gap = Defualt
            - Paper Position = Center Horizontal
            - Orientation = *long end first to save film
Options - Overprint EPS Black = On
               - Full Resolution TIFF Output = On
               - Binary
Bleed - Type = Symmetric
            - Clip At Bleed = On
            - Amount = .5"
OPI - OPI Active = On
        - TIFF - Include Images = On
        - EPS - Include Images = On
I don't see anything that would create a border. Is there something more written, or are the crop marks spread out or not on the trim marks?

We use 14" film and polyester plate materials. When we image form OS9 there is no problems what so ever, yet when we image for OSX it puts that 1/2" boarder around it. Now I'm like the next guy at trying to keep up on technology, but when they don't even provide support for one of their products and force you to either pay $11,000 for their lowest model or seek another, well...

I am using a Star 400 Rip and Agfa Accuset 1000 with quark 6 in 10.3.2. I have downloaded the newest ppds from adobe and that didn't work. i also did a clean install of os x and the problem is still not fixed. I can make a postscript file and drag it onto my printer and it will print fine but i can not use the print function in quark. If anyone has any tips for me they would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

After following this discussion for a few weeks, I would like to jump in too. I purchased a G5 with Panther loaded in November knowing there wouild be issues to resolve. I have resolved all except this one: I am using Quark 6 and connect to a software rip loaded with a Level 3 PS rip - Viper 3.02. I am getting inconsistent and unpredictable results printing film. Sometimes is works - sometimes it doesn't. I can print to my laser printers all day with no problem - just not reliably to the rip. I will print one page and it will work, come back and with the file still open send additional pages and get post script errors.

Does anyone share this experience? The latest drivers appear to be loaded. I am hoping there is a patch out there. It is either a Quark or Viper issue, right???

Hello

I am really glad I found this forum. I am also glad I am not the only one with agfa resolution problems.

I own a print shop in San Franciso. I have a selectset 1500 and a 7000. Bout with viper rips.

My first problem is I bought the 7000 at an auction and after I picked it up I realized someone stole the dongle for it. Fortunatley the dongle for my 1500 works on it.

I NEED A DONGLE...for the 7000, anyone know where I can get one cheap?

I to have had problems with defult screens being output from panther. They always are 133 line.

Where do you put the ppds anyway, no printer discriptions or anything.

I think I am going to break down and spend $20,000 for a harliguin rip with auto trapping, an epson 7600 with this new proofing system called star proof. Star proofs are really great, you rip the file once snd it prints to the 7600. It also actually prints a dot pattern and will show a morie if there is one. Then after the ok from the customer you take the same ripped file and output film, no need to rip it again. It is also pdf user friendly. I like pdf's but none of my customers ever save then correctly.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on my new purchase? I have done alot of homework and think this will solve my problems...god I hope.

Thanks!

To sungrafx:
Your Feb 10, 2004 post referred to a deal at xitron.com: a complete RIP setup for $4,750. I can't find anything like that on their site --they list a Navigator 6.0 setup like that for $21,000. Ouch. Can you direct me any closer or tell me who to call?

spurtiss (TechnicalUser) wrote on Mar 6, 2004:
I to have had problems with defult screens being output from panther. They always are 133 line.
Where do you put the ppds anyway, no printer discriptions or anything.

Put your PPDs in this directory:
Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/

You can also take PPDs that you know work and place copies of them in an Auxury folder anywhere. In Quark, under PPD Manager, click Use Auxzury Folder and point it to your folder. Makes lifew a little less confusing.

As for your Dongle problem, we have in San Mateo a 7000 ourselves. I would have to ask, but might have something for you.

Wow man, I have been looking for Agfa info for years. The Agfa site has been no help. A few years back I got a service call to resolve a calibration issue, got a newbie tech who only new the new stuff, so I spent the afternoon teaching him all about Viper 1.9.2 and never got my issue solved. Even a live body is no help these days.

OK I am running viper 1.9.2 and Agfa Accuset 1500. I have dloaded the Adobe PPDs to get Quark 6.0 and OSX 10.3 going, have not finished my tests yet so I will keep posted.

My question is, how do I calibrate now without the custom adapted PPD that I was using to calibrate before. We use one resolution (3000DPI), one media (film), but multiple LPIs. A post a few posts back mentioned three ways to calibrate (one beeing the custom adapted PPD) what are the other two.

mgmarker

I am curious to know...We use an Agfa800 with Viper RIP but we are getting a Heidelberg Direct to Plate system. Anyone else who is using their Agfa changing to this system? If so what equipment are you looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back