Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS x Admin status 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottian

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
GB
I am having trouble with my ibook. i did a full install some time ago, but ive just got round to setting up user accounts. i set up three accounts, one with admin privelages (me) and two others with user privelages (wife and daughter) I then deleted the admin acount, But now when i try to delete applications it refuses and tells me im not the owner. I thought by giving myself admin rights id be able to do this.

any help is much appreciated

I then deleted the admin acount...

How do you administer a computer without an administrator account? Something smells odd. You should not be able to delete the admin account. Are you sure that you did?

Try the FAQ: Security --> How do I reset the password to access my Mac? See if the admin account is listed in the password reset utility.

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Deleting the default Admin account is a bad idea, but since you said you gave yourself admin privileges first you should be able administer the computer. You probably just need to take ownership of the folders and files you want to delete. Select the folder you want to work with and choose Get Info (Command +I) from the file menu. Pick Ownership and Permissions from this menu and change the owner to yourself.

whoa,,, its that simple.... thanks for this.

You can also run the repair permissions frm teh Disk Utility program AFTER you have recreated an admin (root) account. That can also clear up most problems.....Good idea to run that program every now and then anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back