Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS updates download to PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

visvid

Technical User
Jun 3, 2002
GB
I am trying to download a MAC os 9 update to a pc in the office. The mac does not have a modem , so I am trying to connect to apple and do the download. However this keeps bombing out anyone have any ideas ?

Regards

visvid

2 options...

1- If your downloads are not completing on the PC, use a PC download manager that can resume downloads (find a free one at webattack.com)

2- If your Mac is connected to the PC via ethernet, connect the PC to the internet and run a proxy server on the PC. A small little proxy can be found at analogx.com. On the Mac, set the proxy options to the IP address of your PC and you can now download files to the Mac.

Many thanks for info... actually found it was my download manager on the pc, which did not like the binary files of MAC. Having removed that it worked ok, I then cut it to CD and placed the OS update in the MAC...

do you know if MAC os has an update manager like windows , so it can check for any new updates ?

Cheers

visivd

Yeah, MacOS has Software Update.

It connects to Apple to see what it should update. I don't know how to "fool" it when it's not on a network.

If anyone knows, please reply.

I have my old Mac sitting out the back for the kids but not on the 'net any more. I would like to cut a CD every now and then to update it but how?

TIA

I use the software update on my 'offline' OSX Mac by routing it through a proxy server on my PC. The Mac and PC are networked via ethernet.

I run a proxy from my PC because my ISP on the Mac always cuts me off after 20 minutes if I am not around to hit a prompt that asks if I want to stay online. The ISP client software on my PC never asks if I want to stay online so I can run it all night long.

You can 'fool' the Mac if it is not officially online by setting the Mac's proxy settings to the IP address of your PC. Full details are at analogx.com (network section/proxy)

Mac's Software Update utility can be routed through the proxy by going to the Mac's control panels for TCP/IP or Internet.

I don't have an ethernet connection either :(

Re the mac prompt every 20 mins - are you sure this isn't just the regular reminder setting in the TCP/IP control panel?

Wardy66,

I have only managed to download the 9.1 and 9.2 updates to the pc, and then i just cut them to cd. I got the cd to work, but there was a bit of mucking about to do... in the end what i did was just drag the contents of the cd to the mac desktop, and then it ran ok.

However , when i tried it with final Cut pro, ie downloading it to the pc and then repeating it to the desktop it did not work. I am hoping to have a play around today to see if it would work :)

I don't believe that you can download anything mac to the pc because the mac has a resource fork and data fork. The pc only has one. You will lose one of the forks if you try to download the copy to the mac.

yep ,you can I have now managed to get Qtime upgrades and Final Cut pro. You need Aladdin on your Mac, place the cd in the MAC grag to desk top and installer...

Just need to try and find someone who knows about firewires :-(

what about firewire? my boss is a mac junkie. he has the newest mac and running the newest of os x? what is the question?
don't let your schooling interfere with your education--mt

Firewire question... ok..G4 PowerMac has lost all internal firewire ports( ie the 1 internal and 2 external ) I know my resources work, has I have them plugged into my Powerbook.

Someone thinks the s/w is in a pickle , as I bought a ISA card with 3 ports and that works ok. I am not in a postion to reformat my hdisk as my customer needs to finish 3 video projects... any ideas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back