Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS install

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpmonny

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
GB
I'm trying to reinstall NT4 on my ML370 server but the NT install will not recognise the drives? What do I do?

Hi,

What version of the drivers are you using? Have your tried different versions? If your trying to use drivers that were supplied by Compaq, try the ones supplied by Microsoft and vice-versa.

What version of SmartStart? Try older, try newer.

When I have this problem building a Novell box, I usually have a few different versions on floppy and one usually works.

Lou

Is it a Smartstar assisted install or a manual install?? What RAID controller are you using?? NT 4 will only have drivers for RAID controllers upto and including the 3200, anything after that you need the drivers for the text portion of the install, F6 and all that.

I'm having a similar problem! I'm trying to reinstall NT4 server but 'there aqre no disks'. Thought this was to do with the RAID array. How do I go about getting NT4 onto the server?

Thanks

Again, is it a manual or assisted build?? what array controller are you using??

Whatever array controller you r using, download the driver first and put it on the diskette. To avoid missing the option to install that driver via function key. . . use the 3 start up disk. There's an option there to insert the diskette for the scsi/raid controller driver and you will not missed it. From there it's smooth sailing already.

Its a Smart array 431 controller. I have found the driver for it and when installing NT4 I specify the additional drivers I want to use. However, when I do this it still comes back to say that there are no disks. I am doing this in the wrong place? Can't see anywhwere else to declare addition driver.

Forgive me for stepping back and being a simpleton, but have you configured a logical drive on the array controller using the Array Configuration utility on the SmartStart CD? If not it will have no logical disk so return the error.....

Dude

When you start installing the OS,on the first blue screen that starts up, press "F6" a couple of times. It will ask you to press "S" specify additionl drivers. Pop in th floppy with the 42xx aray driver and youre on your way.
you can find the drivers on hp's web site or on the smart start cd.

Cheers

I did the F6 thing and it detected drives and installed drivers but still didn't work, but I downloaded a few diskArray drivers from the web and tried them all and one worked. You still have to do the F6 thing first and then specify an additional drive and use the downloaded drivers. Just specifying it straight away without F6 doesn't work! Very strange but it's working now and thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back