Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OS 9 can connect to Windows 2000 share, OS x cannot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHead2

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
I've got a windows share which my mac 0S 9 clients can connect to but OS X cannot. There are other shares on the same Windows box which the OS X clients can access...

Any ideas?

1. What's the error?
2. Are the OS X users logging into the share with a *windows* user id?
3. Are the OS X users logging in with their "short" user id or their full name?
4. Are the ACLs for the window share configured differently than other windows shares?

No error is given...

It seems the OS X users can connect if they specify the exact path (smb) but cannot generate a list of all the shares if they just connect to the file server and than pick a share from the list (only some of the shares show up).

It used to be you have to know the name of the share in OS X.

Example:

smb://works/
smb://admin/
smb://administration/

It depends what version of X you are using. I can only speak for the older kind! I don't know if Apple have done anything to this.

Also, the X is sharing the Windows-version while as the OS 9 is xharing the Mac-version. So the one can work without the other!

In OS9, you are connecting to the shared folder via AppleTalk (or Appletalk over IP). For OSX to connect to a AppleTalk share, make sure AppleTalk is enabled in the networking preferences. OSX can connect either way.

When you try to connect to the Win2K machine do you see the computer when you "go to server" ?

Do you have sharing turned on the W2K computer?

If you know the name of the computer you can type in smb://computername and the system should prompt you for a username and password.

You can also install Apple Talk on the W2K, create a file share for Macintosh, then type in afp://computername when using the "go to server"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back