Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Orphaned Group Header in multiple column subreport

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajensenSHS

Technical User
Jan 15, 2008
US
Hello! I'm using Crystal 10. I have a three column subreport that I'm trying to work out some formatting on and I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. There are groupings of data (I'll stick with just the names and addresses to keep it short) which are separated by cities.

The group header (the City) shows up just fine, but when there's a column which is too long to display the header and the first data fields, the data fields move to the second column but the group header stays at the bottom of the first column. This isn't column or data specific.

What I'm wanting to do is have the group headers follow the data fields in the event (as in the above example) the data fields can't fit in the column; then the group header would follow to the next column. Is this possible or are these group headers destined to be orphaned forever? Thanks in advance!!

What's currently happening:
City1 Name Name
Address Address
Name
Address Name Name
Address Address
Name
Address City2

What I'm trying to get:
City1 Name City2
Address
Name Name
Address Name Address
Address
Name
Address

You could format the group footer to "print at bottom of page," which would force a new column for each group. Not sure this will meet your needs, but you might try it.

-LB

If you don't want a new column for each group you could try the following:
1. Insert a section below your group header and expand to the same size as your detail section.

2. Copy and past detail section field into your new group header section "b" so it looks identical to the detail section.

3. In "section expert" conditionally suppress group header section "b" with following formula:
{table.City} = Previous({table.City})

4. Conditionally suppress detail section with following formula:
{table.City} <> Previous({table.City})

5. Make sure the "City" group header has "Keep together" checked.

MrBill

Thanks for all the great input. Just got pulled into a side-project *sigh* so haven't had a chance to give these suggestions a try yet - but hopefully I can get back to it in a couple days.

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back