Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

originator = <>

Status
Not open for further replies.

hboyd

MIS
Jun 22, 2004
US
I hope someone can help. I checked the outgoing Queue on our Exchange 5.5 server and there are hundreds of messages with no originator queued up to go out. I assume that somehow something is sending out spam from this server.

Any idea where to start? Thank you.

Look for the patch that fixes the NDR problem on Exchange. Basically if a spammer sends an email to your server to someone non-existent, your server will try to reply with NDR. But the reply address is bogus also. Your server will keep on trying until it times out in the queue.

I'll look for the info you describe.

Just to confirm, these will show up in the queue continuously. Some of them are getting sent out... i know this because if I highlight one and then click details it will sometimes tell me that it has already been sent. I go in and delete hundreds of these at a time only to have them reappear. This has been going on for a few weeks as far as I know.

Thanks for your help.

That sure looks like it! Thanks to both of you!

Bud

so how would you solve the problem when the originator field displays only a "<>" symbol??? i already have sp 4 installed (with exchange 5.5) i've slowed it down, but it still comes up

Have you actually bothered to read the FAQ? In SMTP, system-generated messages have a sender of <>, just in case they can't be delivered. All the non-delivery reports (NDRs) your system is generating are 'from' <>, so that they don't generate an endless loop if the system they're sent to can't deliver them (think about it).

Actually if you call Microsoft they'll give it to you for free.

Took me about a grand total of 10 minutes to get them to send it out. Just make sure you reference that Knowledge Base article number.

ChuckG

Be sure to set the hexadecimal value to 1. The other settings aren't as effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back