Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Organizing and deployment a documentation management system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReillyC

MIS
Feb 6, 2004
US
Good afternoon all,

I have just been tasked to deploy our Xerox Docushare documentation management system worldwide. I have ideas about filenaming conventions for all documents, requiring a workflow from each business but I'm not sure how best to organize and communicate all this information.
I'm a bit worried since this is the first time I'm the lead.

Has anyone ever deployed a documentation management system system?
Can anyone recommend a book?
Many thanks
R

A couple of suggestions before you dive into a book on document management systems. As the project manager, it is good to have some knowledge of the tool/system you are implementing but you should call on Subject Matter Experts for that expertise. You will be busy enough assembling your project team, organizing the project, managing the budget, and all the other tasks a PM is responsible for. From your post it sounds like your company already has a document management (DM) system, so based on that you may already have some resources or Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)in-house to tap into: (1) the current IT department that deployed the DM system should have relevant info and a list of requirements that were used for the selection and implementation of the current DM system (2) Xerox, your current DM vendor can provide insight and information. I would also ask them for a customer contact reference list. Existing customers can provide a wealth of information, lessons learned and things to do or stay away from. (3) I would also survey the current users of your DM system to determine their likes and dislikes of the current DM system and find out what they feel may be missing from the current implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back