Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Organizational Units and GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddiefdz

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hello,

I have been messing around with OU, and GPO's. Here's my problem. I created a new Organizational Unit and placed a new user in there. In the policies for the organizational unit I created a new one which installs an MSI package of my choice. I went ahead and chose the package and selected it to be assigned. Ok so now, i go to a client pc, login as this new user and i don't see any deployment of the software. I made sure that the option for autoinstall was selected. Any ideas what i may be doing wrong?? Any help from you guys is apprciated!!

Thanks,

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

You should use secedit to refresh the policy or reboot the server ......

Ok, I was able to get the install package to come up when I run add/remove programs. I actually see the network package install there and I have the option to add it. Now my problem is how do i get these to auto install. I have the autoinstall option selected on the policy but still. It comes out as if the software was installed but i dont have a any icon or program group for it. Then in order to actually get it to install I have to go to add/remove programs, then click on add new programs and then on the list of network applications, i see the install on there. I have to actually run the install from there in order for it to work. So its as if its trying to run the install but it gets stuck somewhere. But the funny thing is that when i run the package manually it installs fine. Any ideas!!!

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

You must assign the software to the computer (not the user) if you want it to install it automatically upon boot up.

"In space, nobody can hear you click..."

Does the user have the NTFS security permissions to access the software installation package?

Yes, the user has the appropriate rights to the install package.

Thanks,

Eddie Fernandez
CCNA, Network+, A+, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back