Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: syntax error at or near ")"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bragustin

Programmer
Jul 20, 2003
PH
I am confounded in having the following PSQLException error everytime I SUCCESSFULLY (note: i.e., successfully) attempt to programmatically insert set of values onto a table using PostgreSQL's JDBC. In my attempt to look for the root cause, I arrived at the rather too simple an SQL INSERT statement as below which still fails to point on the underlying problem:

INSERT INTO "PUBLIC"."tblJOB_PROFILE" ( "ccJOBPROFILE_NO" ) VALUES ( '05-0038' );

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: syntax error at or near ")"

I even actually tried to run that straight in PGAdmin III's Query tool to test it out. It works perfectly fine there.

Where do I go wrong programmatically? =D Here's a snippet of my code:

sIns = "INSERT INTO \"PUBLIC\".\"tblJOB_PROFILE\" " +
" ( \"ccJOBPROFILE_NO\" )" +
" VALUES ( '" + lblJobProfileCode.getText() + "' );";

int iRowCount = pStm.executeUpdate(sIns);

rs.insertRow();

- - - - -
I am using PostgreSQL ver8.0 and pg74.215.jdbc3.jar

Many many thanks in advance if you can enlighten me on this.

I don't use JDBC so I can't test it-- but have you tried running it without the double quotes around the table and field names?<BR><BR>Can the driver write to a log file so you can see exactly what it passes to the database?

Hi,

I am not sure if JDBC has that log feature; I'll try to check it out though.

Yup, I did try--it doesn't work though.

Thank you for attending my concern.

I found the problem. I have referenced what is actually an already closed resultset object by invoking rs.insertRow();. A Statement object's executeUpdate and executeQuery methods effectively closes its currently open derivative ResultSet objects.

I am not exactly sure, but I think the generated exception error, org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: syntax error at or near ")" , is not suggestive enough of what's really causing the problem.

StoolPigeon, thank you so much for responding.

I sort of wondered about that in your code (really) but like I said, I'm not familiar with JDBC and using it. You are right that the error is quite misleading.

Postgres is a great product-- but sometimes the stuff built around it isn't quite as high in quality or as far along. I don't fault the developers. It's great that the stuff works at all, but there are idosyncracies to learn. It's the same way with ODBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back