Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

order by clause using input parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahw

MIS
Sep 29, 2000
GB
I have a stored procedure which performs a query based on a number of input parameters. I need the resultset to be ordered by a user defined input parameter. When I pass a parameter called sort (which is the column name) and refer to it in the order by clause, the syntax checker throws up an error message.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Many thanks

Thanks for responding.
Its running on SqlServer 2000 - any ideas?

Sorry not a clue I'm an Oracle Geezer. If I had to have a wild guess I'd say that it might be something to do with the way that SQLServer parses it and that it doesn't like a variable reference in the order by part of the query, but this is a guess. Have you tried posting the question in the SQL Server Forum?

Yes - but no response as yet.

Thanks anyway.

This sort of thing (pardon the pun)?
CREATE PROCEDURE spTestSarahW
@Sortparam varchar(10)
AS
SELECT *, @Sortparam AS Sort
FROM Table
WHERE Field = 1000
ORDER BY Sort Malcolm
Remember, if it wasn't for electricity, we'd be surfing the net by candlelight.

Malcolm
Thanks for responding. I've tried your suggestion but the procedure seems to interpret the passed value as a string.

The application (written in Cold Fusion) allows users to sort their data by clicking on a column heading. I therefore need to pass the actual column name rather than a specific value within that column.

Any ideas?

I misinterpreted your requirement - this should do it.
CREATE PROCEDURE spTestSarahW
@SortFieldName varchar(50)
AS
EXEC ('SELECT * FROM Table ORDER BY ' + @SortFieldName)

Malcolm
Remember, if it wasn't for electricity, we'd be surfing the net by candlelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back