Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle8-ODBC/Infinite Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyalmo

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
Problem:
Compiled Crystal Report-Cannot connect to Oracle database
(infinite login)

Completed Prerequisites:
1) Installed & configured Oracle SQL Net Client
2) Configured Microsoft for Oracle ODBC driver

Any suggestions?

Thx
Alan
[sig][/sig]

I am not familiar with the term "infinite login".

I assume that the report runs fine from the design environment?

Does the compiled report connect when run on the same PC as the Crystal design environment used to create it?

Are you using an ODBC connection?

When exactly does it fail and what is the failure or error message. [sig]<p>Ken Hamady<br><a href=mailto:ken@kenhamady.com>ken@kenhamady.com</a><br><a href= Reports Taining by Ken Hamady</a><br>[/sig]

Ken,
The term infinite login refers to the apparent inability of the copmiled report to connect to the database.
The report does connect to the database, and runs to completion when executed from same pc that it was compiked on.
Yes, an ODBC is the method used.
The report does no &quot;fail&quot;, per se, but simply does not execute after the appropriate user name, password, and server values are input at the login window.

Alan
[sig][/sig]

Let me see if I understand, and suggest some troubleshooting steps.

The report runs from the design environment on PC#1.
You compile it on PC #1, and run it from the shortcut. On this PC it logs in, connects and runs fine.

You now move the report to PC#2 and run it. It brings up the launch window and you click &quot;Print&quot;. You get a login screen and put in the user name and password.

What exactly happens next?
Is Crystal Reports installed on PC#2, or just the runtime engine.
Can you execute the same SQL statement to the same database, from another application on PC #2(like MS Query or Access).
If you saved the report with data, and used the saved data, would the report print?
What else is different between these PCs?
[sig]<p>Ken Hamady<br><a href=mailto:ken@kenhamady.com>ken@kenhamady.com</a><br><a href= Reports Taining by Ken Hamady</a><br>[/sig]

I'd like to jump into this discussion. I have the infinite login problem when trying to access the report from the web. When I run it from designer, standalone, the connection is made fine, but whenever I access from the web, I am repeatedly asked for login and password. It also runs fine over the web using Access as the database, but I get the infinite login when the same report is used with SQLServer. I have been trying to solve this problem for about 2 months now, and I have pursued every possible solution mentioned in this forum, all to no avail. It seems to be connected to using a query, since if I just write a report with the query imbedded in the report, everything works fine. But when I put a Crystal query in, that's when I get the infinite login. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back