Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle-xe trigger PLS-00049: bad bind variable 'NEW.USER_IDX'

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaxyn

Technical User
Jul 16, 2000
US
I just installed oracle-xe (10g) with application express on a linux dev server running centos 5.x. Enabled archivelog mode and created a new user/schema to create my tables and application under. I created a table in application express and get a PLS-00049: bad bind variable 'NEW.USER_IDX' error. I don't see what's wrong with the sql or pl/sql. The code is below. Any help is appreciated. I'm scratching my head on this seemingly simple problem.

CREATE table "users" (
"user_idx" NVARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
"user_email" VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
"user_pw" VARCHAR2(255) NOT NULL,
constraint "users_PK" primary key ("user_idx")
)
/

CREATE sequence "USERS_SEQ"
/

CREATE trigger "BI_users"
before insert on "users"
for each row
begin
select "USERS_SEQ".nextval into :NEW.user_idx from dual;
end;
/

alter table "users" add
constraint USERS_UK1
unique ("user_idx","user_email")
/

Thanks!

Hi,
Not sure why it is not working - it looks exactly like this example:
Code:
CREATE TABLE departments (
  ID           NUMBER(10)    NOT NULL,
  DESCRIPTION  VARCHAR2(50)  NOT NULL);

ALTER TABLE departments ADD (
  CONSTRAINT dept_pk PRIMARY KEY (ID));

CREATE SEQUENCE dept_seq;
/

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER dept_bir 
BEFORE INSERT ON departments 
FOR EACH ROW
WHEN (new.id IS NULL)
BEGIN
  SELECT dept_seq.NEXTVAL
  INTO   :new.id
  FROM   dual;
END;
/

The only difference I see is the lack of a test for an incoming user_idx ( the WHEN clause in the example) and your forcing of mixed case into the mix...Try a more standard table creation, maybe..but it should not matter...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks but that produces this error.
ORA-00904: "USER_IDX": invalid identifier

create or replace trigger "BI_users"
BEFORE insert on "users" for each row when (new.user_idx is null)
BEGIN SELECT "BI_users".NEXTVAL INTO :new.user_idx FROM dual;
END;

Which line triggers ( no pun intended) that error - if the first occurance of user_idx throws that error then something is causing the parser not to see that field in your table..Does the account running that code have full rights to the USERS table - are there more than one USERS tables maybe?
Try fully qualifying the table name (schema.table).

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Klaxyn,

You have inadvertently discovered why, in the "Oracle World" it is generally bad form to code user-defined names within double quotes. You see, whenever you define a name in Oracle using double quotes and any alpha character that is not UPPER CASE, then you must always use double quotes and the same mixed-case configuration. If you do not use double-quotes, then Oracle presumes that regardless of your case in the code, that your Oracle name is uppercase !

So, when your referred, in your code, to "...INTO :new.user_idx...", Oracle looks for "USER_IDX", which it cannot find, since you defined that column as *"user_idx"* -- "user_idx" <> "USER_IDX".

If you sanitize your code of all double quotes, then your problem(s) should disappear.

Please advise us of your findings and results.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Yep that was it. I put quotes around "user_idx" and it worked. Apex used quotes around the column names when creating the table. Looks like a bug in apex to me. I bet if I installed the latest version of application express this would be fixed. The rpm for oracle-xe contains version 2.x of apex. I guess lesson here is avoid gui wizard tools and use the command line :)

Thanks Mufasa for pointing out the issue with quotes.

Glad it worked for you, Klaxyn.

My rule of thumb when I generate SQL code with tools that add double quotes is to do a global remove of all double quotes prior to processing.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back