Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Warehouse Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuewei

Programmer
May 15, 2002
CA
Hi,

I am trying to evaluate OWB. But, when I deploy the project, I always got an error:"Loading of data across database link is not supported". My source database is Oracle8i and my target database is Oracle9i. Please tell me what this error mean?

Thanks

Xuewei

You are trying to load data via dblink, which is not supported (or encouraged). The dblink created while defining target is used only for importing metadata, and not for physical loading. Check the 'configure' of Mapping, and check target table schema, dblink etc. Schema and dblink both should be blank for target. This should hopefully fix the problem.

A

Hi

I am looking for an ETL tool comparison matrix. We want to compare DataStage, Data Junction, DataMirror Constellar Hub and Oracle Warehouse Builder.

Many thanks and take care,
Shayne

The rason for XUEWEI getting the error could be because he/she is having target tables in som eother schema/database instance, and the mappings deployed in some other.
To be on the safer side, please ensure that OWB run time environment and the target schemas are on the same DATABSE INSTANCE.
Also check the COFIGURATIONs of mappings.
Once you ensure above mentioned step, enter the schema name of the target schema in SCHEMA column for every target table, and leave DATABSE LINK entry BLANK.

As mentioned by AkashB, SCHEMA entry CAN NOT be left blank.

I am also evaluating OWB as an ETL environment. We own licenses for both OWB and the CA products that were Platinum Repository and DecisionBase Transformer. I am 90% convinced that OWB will be the better option but will appreciate comments from the Tek-Tips community.

We are mainly an Oracle shop.

Thanks in advance

Hi Graham

You might want to check out the current discussion on ETL tools that is happening on the dwlist mailing list at
The relative pros and cons of OWB is currently (Oct/Nov 2002) being discussed.

Take care,
Shayne

Hi Shayne,

I went to your link and joined in the Forum but could not find the recent discussion you indicated. Am I missing something?

Graham

Hi, there

I am trying to build up a warehouse using OWB, I have defined target schema, source schema, db link, connection, and mapping etc, all of them passed validation and generation without error, but when I try to deploy, I always fot the following error message:

Failed to connect to runtime platform, Please
checck you have provided the correct Host, user,
password and Service Name,
RTC-5301 The Runtime Service is not currently
available

I am using Oracle 9.0.1, OWB 9.0.4, and I think I set up OWB repository, runtime repository and runtime target schema properly.

Is there anything I missed, or something wrong. The deadline for the project is coming, I am going to be crazy. :(

I appreciate your help and suggestion very much

Donny

Mrs,

I have a problem with mapping in owb. In fact, I had a problem with sequence object in the mapping. So, I solved the problem building a procedure "pre-mapping". This procedure had two functions: Drop and Creaate Sequence.
The mapping generates OK, but when execute the package, it runs OK, but your status becomes it invalid. This problem become impossible the execution through of the ORACLE JOB.

Tanks in advance,

Marcelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back