Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Warehouse Builder - Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nchapman

Programmer
Aug 9, 2002
GB
We will be undertaking an evaluation of the above software. Has anyone any views/opinions on it? Any good points/bad points ?

I have also been using OWB for quite some time .

I feel the product is good for large scale Datwarehouse setup. If you are a Oracle house and have all components like enterprise manager, messaging installed it would be easy using the tool. But the amount of resources required it massive. one is the repository which is ok. but the runtime library is required in each target schema.
If source and target are Oracle then it seem to effective. You might have problem when using non oracle source. Specially setting up hetergenous tns and database link require more effort. But once set managing is very easy.
OWB since written in Java is quite slow and patience it required doing large scale mapping.

I have also been using OWB for quite some time .

I feel the product is good for large scale Datwarehouse setup. If you are a Oracle house and have all components like enterprise manager, messaging installed it would be easy using the tool. But the amount of resources required it massive. one is the repository which is ok. but the runtime library is required in each target schema.
If source and target are Oracle then it seem to effective. You might have problem when using non oracle source. Specially setting up hetergenous tns and database link require more effort. But once set managing is very easy.
OWB since written in Java is quite slow and patience is required doing large scale mapping.

Hi, there

I am new guy with OWB, I have the following problem, do you have any idea about OWB deploy

I am trying to build up a warehouse using OWB, I have defined target schema, source schema, db link, connection, and mapping etc, all of them passed validation and generation without error, but when I try to deploy, I always fot the following error message:

Failed to connect to runtime platform, Please
checck you have provided the correct Host, user,
password and Service Name,
RTC-5301 The Runtime Service is not currently
available

I am using Oracle 9.0.1, OWB 9.0.4, and I think I set up OWB repository, runtime repository and runtime target schema properly.

Is there anything I missed, or something wrong. The deadline for the project is coming, I am going to be crazy. :(

I appreciate your help and suggestion very much

Donny

Hi Donny,

I got the same problem, i am using owb 9.0.2 and oracle 9.2, both are licenced versions, i created the mappings, validated, configured and generated without errors but when i try to run those mappings it shows errors, it seems just like ur problem right, but error number is different "ora-06550: line 1, column 8", then through otn site i came to know that the error number shows "The column doesn't exist". so now i am working on this problem if i find anything i will let you know, meanwhile if you could clear this please let me know.

you can catch me on vamsigoud@hotmail.com or 65-93898460.

Thanks in advance...

Vamsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back