Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle vs. Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathetic

Programmer
Dec 3, 2004
US
I am use to creating reports using an orcale database and I am use to using the "DECODE()" feature for alot of my derived fields. Recently, I have been given a project that can only be accessed thru Access tables....and the DECODE() is not included! Does anyone know how to work this problem? Is there something I can put in SQL that will do the same thing?

Do you have access to the @IF or IIF function

(@IF(number, Value1,Value2) - returns value 1 if number = 0 else returns value 2? i.e.

@IF(tablename.fieldname,7000,0)

This would return "7000" if tablename.fieldname has a value, otherwise would return "0".

Or

=IIf([textboxname.txt]<0,([textboxname.txt]*-1),0)

This would change the &quot;sign&quot; of a negative number in textboxname.txt if it is less than zero, otherwise it would return &quot;0&quot;.

I've been using the SQL version of Report Smith for the last year. Now we've switched to the Oracle version. Could you explain DECODE() to me?

When you create a derived field, you go to the pull down menu and select @decode() in the &quot;Other Fuctions&quot; category. This will let you select a value of a field and for that value, return a value of your own choosing.

You can use the switch function in access...Look that up in help and it will show you an example

Pbowen,

here is an example of a simple decode statement using the oracle version or reportsmith:

DECODE(&quot;PS_JOB&quot;.&quot;EMPL_TYPE&quot;,'S','Salary','H’,'Hourly')

The Xlattable table that holds all the description, doesn't have a value to translate Empl_Type. Therefore IF you want to see Salary instead of a S, you would need to do that simple Derievedfield and usethat decode statement.

I sometimes like using this instead of the translate table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back