Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle to solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryeolivier

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2001
PH
can you guys help me on how can i make my oracle db run on a solaris enviroment.

How far have you gone in your database? More details please. Robbie

"The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided" -- Art of War

im just planning to start off. actually, i have my database installed in a windows2000 environment, but i want to migrate it in a sun solaris box? how can i do it.. if i will start off with scratch?

You will need to re-create your DB from scratch on your Sun box. We had this issue a while back where we needed an NT database on a Solaris box.

You only need to re-create DB and tablespaces though - you can perform a db export of all your data and table structures from the W2K platform - FTP that over to the Solaris box and just simply import it. Saves a bit of time but is still a pain.

It's a shame that oracle having come up with a way of clonging a db cross platforms... would save us loads of time

Hope this helps.

PS - if you need help on the import/export utility just type 'IMP HELP=Y' or 'EXP HELP=Y' in a dos box or unix session to get help on the command. Assuming you're using Oracle 8i ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back