Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle startup after shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi,
I'm running a Oracle 8i server whose main db is part of commerical application and I have also developed a separate db on the same oracle server. I used the dbassist tool to create it initially. The trouble is when I shutdown the oracle server using svrmgrl and then restart it only the commercial db restarts. If I try to force it to open the other db and specify the initDB.ora file it then complains about the oraPW file being incorrect, when doing this it refers to the oraPW file of the other db. It seems like there is some form of corruption in a start up file but I don't know which one - the two initDB.ora files seem ok & refer to the correct db/instances. Is there another central config file which specifies which db's to open or is it something else. I tried shutdown abort to see if this cleared whatever the problem was but to no avail.

Thanks

Exit the server manager and set your ORACLE_SID=myotherdb, then try it again.

I need to have the the main db startup as well though, won't changing the SID mean that only the other db is mounted & opened ?
Sorry if this a daft question.

No, it won't do anything to the other instance. The ORACLE_SID is an "environment" variable. It points you to the instance you want to use (sqlplus, srvmgrl, etc.). Switch between them as needed (see $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oraenv script that comes with UNIX based servers). Also, make sure you have your new database in your tnsnames.ora file.

Do be careful to know which database you are using when shutting it down or other such deeds.
SELECT * FROM V$DATABASE; or
SELECT * FROM GLOBAL_NAME;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back