Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

finny

Programmer
Nov 16, 2000
US
Hi All,
I have a web application that needs to pull back distinctive items by name. I have it set up so I can retrieve products that begin with A-Z, depending on the user selection. The problem I am having is how do I pull back products that begin with a number or asterik? I have it labeled as "OTHER" and would like to find out what the SQL statement would be for that criteria.

Thx in advance for any help...finny

What about this:

select name
from item
where substr (name,1,1) in
('0', '1', '2', '3', '4',
'5', '6', '7', '8', '*');

The ASCII function returns the numeric ASCII value of the left most letter in a string. You could use that value in your query. For the * it might be something like:

SELECT *
FROM MyTable
WHERE ASCII(MyField) = 42;

Looks like numbers are 48-57... Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

jee & thoey,

thx for the responses. I won't get a chance to try the suggestions before next week, but I'll let you know how it goes....finny

p.s. thoey, ever hear of Kings College? I knew a guy named Brian Hoey and thought he had a bro named Terry...

Sorry Finny, I have a Bro, but his name is Tom... Good luck with the Oracle... Terry
* General Disclaimor - Please read *
Please make sure your post is in the CORRECT forum, has a descriptive title, gives as much detail to the problem as possible, and has examples of expected results. This will enable me and others to help you faster...

Thx for input. I got it figured out my using UNIONS for each # and character needed.

finny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back