Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle SQL Aware Firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewster

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
GB
Hi

I work in a college, and users need to access a Oracle Database at a local University. The port is 1521 for outboud, dynamic coming back. I added this as a protocal rule but still cannot connect. The University sayes that the firewall needs to be made "Oracle Aware" they mention SQLnet Proxy, does anyone have any information or help on installing and setting this up.

Paul Rewston

Paul Rewston

We have had problems with the Oracle Client going through ISA when using ISA Authentication. Never did find an answer other than turn off authentication. Vendor eventually changed their application to a pure HTML solution and it works fine.

Dan

Thanks dput

I have not had training yet on the ISA, so any help is appreciated.

Firstly where do I find the ISA authentication that can be switched off to test the Oracle Client. I found authenication in the outgoing/incoming web listeners.

Paul Rewston

Go to ISA Managment.
Choose Servers and Arrays.
Choose your server.
Right click and choose properties.
Select Outgoing Web Requests.
Uncheck the Ask Unauthenticated User for Identification..
I believe it will require you to save the change and to restart the service for this to take affect. (this should not take long, I did it during the day and nobody noticed)

Hopefully this will guide you toward an answer.

Dan

The box is already unchecked, so I will have to look for another solution, and it is using Integrated Authenication and on a restricted IP range.

I remember that this was turned off when I first setup the ISA because when some of the first Windows XP Computers (imaged using Ghost) did not join the domain properly and kept asking for authenication to use the web, even when they were rejoined, these have now been sorted.

I will have to get the university to have a look into this problem and advise us accordingly. Most colleges connecting to their oracle database must be using some sort of firewall.

Thanks for your help Dan

Paul Rewston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back