Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle select and insert syntax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delboy14

Programmer
Jun 21, 2001
GB
I have an oracle database, the format of it is:
table travel_request
(
request_id number(5) not null,
dbdirid number(15) not null,
origin varchar2(128) not null,
destination varchar2(128) not null,
depart_date date not null,
return_date date,
purpose varchar2(255) not null,
justification varchar2(255),
approval_status char(1)
);

I am trying to add a set of data to it from a form, then display the data from the database to verify it has been added correctly. There does not seem to be any error when I add the data to the database, using the insert command. However I cannot display the data.

the date variables are in the format "DD-MM-YYYY", so I may need to use the TO_DATE function to convert to a correct Oracle date format, however I have not go this to work either. Does anyone know the problem with my code? I have included the code below...

<code>
<?php

$dbh = db_connect($database_user,$database_password,$database_name);

$stmt = ociparse($dbh,&quot;insert into TRAVEL_REQUEST (request_id_sequence.nextval,$dbdirid,'$origin',
'$destination' ,$depart_date, '$purpose', '$justification', '$approval_status')&quot;);

ociexecute($stmt,OCI_DEFAULT);

$display = ociparse($dbh, &quot;select * from TRAVEL_REQUEST&quot;);
ociexecute($display,OCI_DEFAULT);

while(ocifetch($display))
{
echo ociresult($display).&quot;<br>\n&quot;;
}

ocilogoff($dbh);
?>
</code>

I have altered my code to now look like this:
the first piece of code attempts to insert into the database
and the second part to display what has been added,

I cant see where my problem is, but nothing seems to come out of the table when I use my select command.
<code>
<?php
$stmt = OCIparse($dbh,&quot;insert into TRAVEL_REQUEST (request_id_sequence.nextval,$dbdirid,'$origin', '$destination' ,to_date('depart_date','DD-MM-YYYY'),to_date('return_date','DD-MM-YYYY'), '$purpose', '$justification', '$approval_status')&quot;);
OCIexecute($stmt,OCI_DEFAULT);
OCIlogoff($dbh);
?>

<?php
$display = OCIparse($dbh, &quot;select * from TRAVEL_REQUEST&quot;);
OCIexecute($display);

while(OCIFetchInto($display, $values))
{
$current_id=$values[1];
$current_dbdirid=$values[2];
$current_origin=$values[3];
$current_destination=$values[4];
$current_depart_date=$values[5];
$current_return_date=$values[6];
$current_purpose=$values[7];
$current_justification=$values[8];
$current_approval_status=$values[9];

echo &quot;<tr><td>$current_id </td></tr>&quot;;
}

OCIlogoff($dbh);
?>
</code>

I have tried this but nothing is printed from print_r(),it seems the while loop is not entered, and even simple text within the while loop does not appear on screen.

I think my problem is in my insert code or fetch code?

thankyou, I realise I should have been adding these error checks, when I add them I find the error appears after the execute statement, does that mean it cannot add this record to the database? if so why?

<code>
<?php
//try first to connect to the database. if we can't then end

$stmt = OCIparse($dbh,&quot;insert into TRAVEL_REQUEST (request_id_sequence.nextval,$dbdirid,'$origin', '$destination' ,to_date($depart_date,'DD-MM-YYYY'),to_date($return_date,'DD-MM-YYYY'), '$purpose', '$justification', '$approval_status')&quot;);
if($stmt==false)
{
echo OCIError($stmt).&quot;<br>&quot;;
echo &quot;error in insert&quot;;
exit;
}

$execute=OCIexecute($stmt,OCI_DEFAULT);
if($execute==false)
{
echo OCIError($execute).&quot;<br>&quot;;
echo &quot;error in execute&quot;;
exit;
}
OCIlogoff($dbh);
?>
</code>

As an aside, when posting code, use the TGML [ignore]
Code:
[/ignore] tags, not <code>...</code>. This will stop the TGML processor from doing odd things to some PHP code.

I have a FAQ in this forum which covers debugging PHP code. It has a section on debugging database code. The specific examples use MySQL, but the advice will also work for Oracle: faq434-2999

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

the code still falls at this stage, and the error happens at the execute stage however no error is displayed from OCI Error(), so I am not sure what to do?

Any Ideas

sleipnir sorry, up to now their has been an error in my connection to the database, the path was wrong in my index.

I can now see the error when inserting, it says.

Code:
insert into TRAVEL_REQUEST values(request_id_sequence.nextval,2115704,'London', 'New York' , to_date(12-03-2004,'DD-MM-YYYY'),to_date(18-03-2004,'DD-MM-YYYY'), 'Visiting Staff', 'fdhdfgh', 'p')Failed to insert 

Reason ORA-01847: day of month must be between 1 and last day of month 1847  
Contact Derek 
   Back To Index

so I think the problem is in the sql?

ok it is now sorted, the problem was the sql, I had removed single quotes from the date char form field, when I did not know the database path connection was wrongs,

thanks for your help though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back