Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Reports Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

redav

Programmer
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi

I'm new to oracle reports but would be grateful if you could give me a quick break down on how it creates the report.

The application is been developed by a third party but we have issues with the speed of the reports.

I can query the Database (oracle9i) and pull back the data very quickly but when producing the report it takes 2 and 1/2 minutes to generate it. why is this?

Regards
Redav

Querying the DB is only the first stage of report generation. SQL operations are performed on DB server, which is usually a prettu powerful machine fit to perform the query efficiently.
The second stage is to build the report according to the report layout and data model. If there is no dedicated report server, this stage may take longer time. So it may be that your report server is deployed on some other pretty busy machine, or (not sure if it is the case) you are running the report from the report viewer, and in this case all you have is the power of your desktop PC, which is usually not enough for effective reporting.

Thanks for your reply.

This makes it alot clearer

Thanks
Redav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back