Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdawley4

Technical User
Aug 6, 2004
US
I am trying to learn more about different databases and how they work. I downloaded Oracle 10g and installed it onto my computer, so I can experiment with Oracle and learn how to use it, to enhance my DB skills. I created a test database but when I try to log into the database, it denies me access and says invalid username or password. I used the Database Configuration Assistant in the demo to create the database along with a userid and password. Is there something that I am doing wrong or does the demo not support users to create a database? I am not running a server and don't know if that would make a difference.

Thanks,

Chris

Hm. The oracle-database IS a server.
Or are you talking about a webserver, ftp-server, mail-server?
It's a db-server.

You can run the client on the same machine as the server, of course.

Did you create a new SID for your database?
And start oracle with the new SID?

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Chris,

Please post the results of the following experiment:

1) Open a DOS (or O/S) window.
2) At the prompt, enter: "sqlplus /nolog"
3) If that results in a SQL*Plus "SQL> " prompt, then enter:
"connect / as sysdba"
4) It will say either "connected" or "connected to an idle instance".
5) If it says the latter, then enter the command: "startup".
6) Issue the command: "select username from dba_users;". The resulting list shows the names of all Oracle users on your database.
7) Please post your findings back to this thread.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 21:38 (23Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 14:38 (23Sep04) Mountain Time)

Here is the readback from the SQL prompt.

USERNAME
------------------------------
SYS
SYSTEM
DBSNMP
SYSMAN
MGMT_VIEW
OUTLN
WK_TEST
MDSYS
ORDSYS
CTXSYS
ANONYMOUS

USERNAME
EXFSYS
DMSYS
WMSYS
XDB
WKPROXY
ORDPLUGINS
SI_INFORMTN_SCHEMA
OLAPSYS
WKSYS
MDDATA
DIP

USERNAME
SCOTT

I know that from reading an excerpt from a book at amazon.com, the username SCOTT has a password of Tiger, unless that has changed over the years.

Chris,

Using the log-in that you did earlier, you effectively have "Super DBA" privileges. As such, you can create users and their passwords, or change passwords of existing users, or both.

If you attempted a standard user connection earlier when it failed with the "invalid username or password" message, you were probably using a username/password combination that you thought should work. Since this is your practice/learning database, then you have the right to change passwords to whatever you want (provided you remember what you set them to). To change an existing user's password:
Code:
ALTER USER <username> IDENTIFIED BY <password>;

Once you make this above change, attempt a connection using the username with the changed password. It should allow you to connect just fine.

Let us know if this resolves your need.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 22:28 (23Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 15:28 (23Sep04) Mountain Time)

Does it make a difference which oracle demo I download? I downloaded the 10g_win32_db at work and I am now downloading both the 10g_win32_db and 10g_win32_client for my home use. Is the client necessary or does the 10g_win32_db have client built in?

If you install Oracle database software, the client installs automatically on that same machine.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 00:13 (24Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 17:13 (23Sep04) Mountain Time)

I got in an created a user account for myself. How do I create a database with this program and learn how it works?

Chris,

Your last question is just too big to answer in a thread in a forum. Among the resources you can persue (in low-to-high-cost order are:

1) Ask an Oracle-literate friend for help.

2) Buy a good book:
a) "Learning SQL: A Step-By-Step Guide Using Oracle", by Richard Earp, Sikha Bagui, from Amazon.com for $18-33.84.
b) "Oracle SQL Primer: Learning the Craft", by Gary M. Lewis, from Amazon.com for $26-$39.
c) "Oracle9i: The Complete Reference", by Kevin Loney, from Amazon.com for $7-$52.49.

3) Acquire Computer-Based Training course on CDs (from Oracle Corporation, for example).

4) Attend Oracle classes, available from colleges, Oracle Corporation, and third-party providers near you.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 06:41 (24Sep04) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"), 23:41 (23Sep04) Mountain Time)

cdawley4, if you successfully created a USER, your DATABASE is already here. To ask questions (and to get answers!) in Oracle forum you should learn some new terms/concepts as well as to forget(temporarily) some others inherited from FoxPro, MS SQL etc. First I recommend you to learn about meaning of terms DATABASE, INSTANCE, SCHEMA, TABLE.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back