Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle PL/SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaus

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
US
Hi,
Is this a good forum for discussing PL/SQL? I used to belong to orafans, but they seem to have disappeared. I need some fairly detailed info regarding processing a flat file in PL/SQL...
Thanks!

Gaus,

Do you want us to "core dump" on you or do you have specific questions? Are you familiar with PL/SQL's flat-file processing package, UTL_FILE? What PL/SQL flat-file-processing documentation do you have available? How much PL/SQL familiarity do you possess?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 02:07 (23Jan04) GMT, 19:07 (22Jan04) Mountain Time)

Well, I am somewhat familiar with PL/SQL, but still at what I wold consider slightly better than a beginner. I found some info on UTL_FILE< and it seems that's what I am looking for. PL/SQL does not seem to contain the ability to create a record layout and then refer to fields. It seems to require use of SUBSTR to access 'fields' within the file. That's ok though, as long as I can process it.
I'll try and use what I found. If I have some specific questions, could I pose them to you?
Thanks!

We are happy to try and help with PL/SQL questions when you get stuck.

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle 8.1.7 - Windows 2000

Thanks, I appreciate it...

You might take a look at sql*loader which deals with flat files much faster than the utl_file package.

It might seem a little more cumbersome at first, but the sheer speed of sql*loader in direct mode, is amazing.

Aryeh Keefe

Hi Aryeh,
Yes I am familiar with that. I created a sllldr job that runs in a nightly batch, but this requires data manipulation of the flat file data. I will be SELECTING from other tables to get new data values on certain fields.
Thanks!

sounds like a job for perl (w/DBI)

it eats though flat files better than just about anything out there and hooks into Oracle quickly, easily and efficiently.

Maybe I should look into that for the future, but I am not familiar with PERL. At least I have coded some PL/SQL packages (though it's been awhile), so I am fairly comfortable with it.
Thanks!!

DBAwhosaysNIE:

I have been using pl/sql from past 7 years and been using sql*loader and UTL_FILE for flat file reading/manupulation/loading.
Could you post a simple code using PERL to manipulate data from flat file or could you point to some website on how to do it.

Thanks,
San

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back