Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle,mysql,sybase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doddo

Programmer
Feb 14, 2001
GB

Hi, I need to persuade my boss into going with either oracle, mysql, sybase. There could be potentially tables with a few million entries in but the queries will not be overly complicated. There will be joins, sub-selects etc. There will however be less than 100 concurrent users and the data itself will mainly be in the form of varchar, int, maybe with one or two columns contains blob data.

Please could anyone give me a few points that could persuade him to pay out for anything other than mysql? ie oracle or sybase

Hello,

For your project mysql is the best RDBMS. It is free and can handle 100 users without problem.

If you planning to scale, ORACLE is defenitely better (but extremely expensive).

Thanks,

Ron Warshawsky

P.S. If Windows is yout platform, you can use Microsoft SQL Server. It is less expensive than ORACLE or Sybase.

hi doddo,

It depends on how much you and your company value the data and how much your company is willing to spend.

If your company has no hesistations in spending then I would suggest ORACLE or Sybase. You would have complete security and the performance will be better. Also most of the companies use Oracle/Sybase.
(If your OS is Windows then prefer SQLserver)

I also agree with Mr. Ron suggestions to use mysql if your company is not willing to spend much and mysql is free.

bye
iamhere2001in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back