Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Listener Setup - Orcale8i Personal Ed. Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer77

Programmer
Jul 20, 2000
US
I am having problems with the listener. I have set up a listener and a connection but when I try to connect, It does not see the listener. Anyone with ideas?

Does your client connection information (in the client copy of TNSNAMES.ORA) match the information in your server's Listener.ora file?

Can you ping the server from the client?
If so, what happens when you tnsping the instance from the client? [sig][/sig]

I have a similar problem with the listener except the listener starts but immediately shutsdown. It had been previously working but then quits. The only solution I have is to do a reinstall of Personal Oracle 8i for Win 98.

Hello again, Stargazer77,

I replied to another of your posts on this site. If you make sure your sqlnet.ora file has a default_domain, then make sure your tnsnames file is set up properly, you should be able to get around this minor setback.

First, open the %ora8ihome%\network\admin\sqlnet.ora file and add the parameter: NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN=world

Then, open the %ora8ihome%\network\admin\tnsnames.ora file and make sure the connection name includes the default_domain setting (PROD.WORLD = ), then add the parameter (sid = prod) to the Connect_data section and comment out the lines referencing (NAMES_SERVICE = XXXXX). The connection parameters should look like:

SID.world =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_List =
(Address = (PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=yourcomputername)(PORT=1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
# (SERVICE_NAMES = PROD)
(sid = prod)
)
)

hi , i have a problem with oracle 8 listener.. once i run it from.. net8 configure.. my.. computer hangs.. completely frooozen... does anyone know how to fix this or do i have to reinstall the oracle ? i think my listener is..installed bad any way i can reinstall just the listener ? or delete it ? and install it ? or do i have to do a clean install again ? please..help...

Hi Flyboyz,
Check your ethnet card, check your hostname is resolving to
IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back