Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oracle instance running ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arainxius

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
CA
Hi :

Lets assume Oracle 9i is installed on a Sun OS...
How can i find out if oracle server is running on this particular machine ?? and which instance of SID is running ??
The problem is i am unable to connect to the Oracle via sqlplus and i get this message :
ERROR:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

any help ??

TIA

A quick check on Solaris is:

$ ps -aef | grep pmon

ecomdbdev50% ps -aef | grep pmon
oracle 1609 1 0 Sep 06 ? 0:00 ora_pmon_<instance>

As you can see, any results that come back will tell you what instances are running. If you cannot connect, this is one way.

Thomas V. Flaherty Jr.
Birch Hill Technology Group, Inc.

hi all

you can check the environment of your system there it will show which oracle instance is running

Dude:

'Oracle not available' means the SGA was not allocated. When I get that on NT/2000 I am still able to connect with the message 'connected to an idle instance'.

From there (SQL+) I can use the old server manager command 'startup force' to get the instance going but I don't know what the equivelant procedure would be on UNIX.

rev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back