Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Instance Hassles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

neohippy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2003
GB
Hi all. tis the first time im installing an oracle server with more than 2 instances. I was wondering if anyone knew about any trouble i could run into... I have already created 2 Instances (this is Oracle 8.1.7 64 bit on Solaris 8 SPARC 64 bit) with some scripts but upon following the same procedure with the third instance to be created i get greeted with an

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.
SVRMGR> startup nomount
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
SVRMGR>

This is normally a Net8/Listener error. Is there some kind of limit of Instances per Listeners or something, this is a 2x900Mhz UltraSPARC 3 with 64 bit everything and 4 GB of SUN RAM, there are no performance issues (cpu around 99.5 percent idle most of the time, no %iowait, load averages of 0.04 etc etc) hes not busy basically so i cant see how it can be a resource issue, plenty of free RAM and everything else. Both of the other instances are totally usable, but i need to have 5 up.

Any help or ideas would be most helpfule

I've gotten this message before. For me, it never had anything to do with SQL Net or the listener (other than the instance couldn't connect because it wasn't coming up correctly). Every time I got this message I was short of memory or semaphores. Once I had to connect as SYSDBA (for some reason it didn't like good old &quot;connect internal&quot;) and it worked. Check for any dumps, these sometimes give you hints. Also, shut down one of the other instances and then see if you can bring this one up. Sometimes you have to reset your init parms or your OS system configuration, e.g. you could be exceeding semaphore allocation with the number of processes you have in the init file. In Oracle 8i, I think the number of semaphores required by an instance is equal to 2 times the setting of the 'processes' parameter in the init<sid>.ora for the instance and then releases half when the instance really starts up. Also, if you are installing that java vm, you better have memory to spare. I can't install it on my older/smaller machines because it is a memory hog. Take out the java shared pool memory if you don't need it.

At any rate, I have most often gotten this error when I was pushing the available memory or semaphore settings. I have usually have taken a little off the memory and connection settings of the existing instances to squeeze in another. Sometimes, I have had to reset the system config. (requires machine shutdown/startup).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back