Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle ERP Viability

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkD

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2002
CA
Hi,

We are a multi-billion dollar mfg (food processing) company. For the past 5 months we have embarked on an ERP proof of concept with a certain ERP package. We found that this ERP package is not the right fit for us.

During our search for ERP packages approximately 2 years ago, Oracle was one of our perspective vendors. During their presentation, their application did not peform well with many system crashes and failed promised functionality. We are now giving the Oracle suite of products a second chance.

My question is, what does everybody think of the Oracle suite of ERP/Supply Chain products. Things such as system stability, ease of installation, technical documentation, overall thoughts on functionality completeness. Any input to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

I have heared from several sources that Oraxcle marketing sucks! Every presentation that I have heared of is the worst among other competitors. I have not had a chance to work with supply functionality, but a friend of mine in Deloitte is quite impressed...
(So much for an oppinion)

I have been using Oracle's Financials (G/L, FA, AP, HR, Pay, Pur, Inv) since 1993, while not innovative it has been stable for us. we reboot it about every 3 months I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I work for a huge financial services company that has implemented gl/fa/ap globally in multi language and multi currency. The Oracle product is very sophisticated and flexible and therefore complex. We are having great success with the product but it is not a small undertaking.

Dear Sir(madam),
I am an ERP Consultant from Vietnam. I can working with some small ERP system like: ACCPAC, Exact, SOLOMON and now I am studying Scala. But I still want to study Oracle. Could you tell me where I can study on the web and demo software that I can study.
I also want to study from all of you, who have experience in ERP. I hope I can have opportunity to receipt your help.
Thank you very much.
Pham Vu Duc

Our organization is in the implementation stage of Oracle. Most of the applications appear to be working without problems. Make sure you look at 11.5.8. I am told it is the most stable version Oracle has delivered. It still has it's opportunties for improvement. If you are planning on trying out any of the Service applications, you may be better off waiting until version 12 is delivered. Stability in these applications is questionable at best. A revisit of Oracles direction in this product is needed immediately.
Good Luck in Your Venture!

We are almost done with our Oracle 11.5.7 implementation, including OM,INV,PUR, GL, AR, AP. In my opinion, Oracle is strong in the following areas:
- highly configurable in tech side, not business process side
- highly programmable in business process side, though customized parts will not officially be supported
- web enabled, bandwidth efficient
but weak in the following:
- high maintenance cost and effort, you need a team of programmers and DBA for keeping it in good shape
- complex and not so good quality patching, patches delivered by Oracle seldom work out-of-the-box, and one patch may break other parts
- not so good quality standard features, a lot of standard features are not well tested, many do not work out-of-the-box, reports are even worst, forget the standard reports, you almost have to write every report you need.

After all,
this is a viable and strong player in the field, if big businesss like yours, I believe only SAP or Oracle will do the trick, but I think your implementation may be best done by SAP or Oracle themselves to provide the highest satisfaction and quality. Anyway, prepare to spend a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back