Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle directory that points to a different server? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjh

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
US
Hi,

I have an Oracle procedure that loads an image file (blob) from Oracle directory and inserts into a table. BFILENAME works fine if the directory is local (i.e. C drive), but if I change it to point to a different server, it doesn't read the file anymore. I tried using UNC-formatted path (\MYCOMPUTER\MYFOLDER) and mapped drive letter, too.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

You may need to map '\\MYCOMPUTER\MYFOLDER' as network drive (it may work -- I don't do WinDoze).
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I don't work on Windows platforms much any more, but I remember this type of access to remote drives causing problems. It was typically caused because the oracle account on the database server didn't have the right permissions to read the network drive. If you have access to Metalink, I suggest you read note 329464.1 and a few similar articles that deal with this type of issue.

Hi,
it is most likely ( as karluk states) a permission problem.
The anonymous account on the Oracle server ( or the user account that the Oracle binaries run under) needs rights to read from that external server's folder.

Have you mapped that external folder to a drive letter on the Oracle sever?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Yes, it was a permission problem. I found the following info from this website( I ended up reading the image in stream insted of using BFILENAME. Thanks for all of your help!

Windows shares and mapped drives
Oracle does not understand about mapped drives. When running as a service on a Windows server (or even using Personal Oracle on your PC), the directory or UTL_FILE_DIR cannot be a windows mapped drive. The services run as the LOCAL SYSTEM user, and has no access to any mapped drives you may have set up.

UTL_FILE_DIR does can be a windows mapped drive, but you should run your Oracle service from another account - just specify it in service description.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back