Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORACLE DECODE FUNCTION...NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stargazer77

Programmer
Jul 20, 2000
US
CREATE VIEW DECODE<br>AS SELECT STUDENT#,<br> DECODE ( GRADE,<br> 'A', '4.0'<br> 'A-', 3.67<br> 'B+', 3.33<br> 'B', 3.0<br> 'B-', 2.67<br> 'C+', 2.33<br> 'C', 2.0<br> 'C-', 1.67<br> 'D', 1.33<br> 'E', 1.0<br> 'F', 0 )<br> FROM STUDENT_SCHEDULE;<br> <br><br>This isn't working......it says it is missing a right parenthesis before the 'A'......I put one but it says it needs another one right after the 'A'...

Try:<br><FONT FACE=monospace>CREATE VIEW GRADE_DECODE AS<br>SELECT STUDENT,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DECODE ( GRADE,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'A', 4.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'A-', 3.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B+', 3.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B', 3.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B-', 2.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C+', 2.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C', 2.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C-', 1.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'D', 1.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'E', 1.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'F', 0 )<br>FROM STUDENT_SCHEDULE;</font><br>You need commas after each parameter to decode, and all your decoded results should be of the same type (i.e. all numeric, or all varchar2).<br>Calling the view DECODE might cause problems too.

Calling the DECODE could not be any problem. But its a good practice not to use the reseverved word for objects.<br>Your query also create a problem as you haven't define a alias for the expression. <br>It shoould be<br>CREATE VIEW GRADE_DECODE AS<br>SELECT STUDENT,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DECODE ( GRADE,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'A', 4.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'A-', 3.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B+', 3.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B', 3.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B-', 2.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C+', 2.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C', 2.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C-', 1.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'D', 1.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'E', 1.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'F', 0 ) myExpr<br>FROM STUDENT_SCHEDULE;<br>

I'm not sure if it's required, but I always add a final default value in case none of the DECODE values match:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DECODE ( GRADE,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'A', 4.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'A-', 3.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B+', 3.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B', 3.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'B-', 2.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C+', 2.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C', 2.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'C-', 1.67,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'D', 1.33,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'E', 1.0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;'F', 0,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0 ) myExpr<br>

The default value is optional - the DECODE() returns NULL if no values<br>matched.

There are several problems with your code:-<br><br>You need commas between all arguments, so you need them at each line end in the main body of you statement.<br><br>The third argument [&nbsp;&nbsp;'4.0'&nbsp;&nbsp;] needs to be just 4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;[ decode(grade,'A',4,'A-',3.67..... ) ]<br>so that the second of each pair is of the same datatype [here you are converting<br>a series of char values to numbers].&nbsp;&nbsp;You could add a final default value to pick up stray grades, but this must also be of the NUMBER datatype to match the other returned values.<br><br>The column needs an alias for the [ create view ] to work.<br>Using DECODE as the view name is OK, but I would avoid key words as object names.<br><br>I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back