Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle DB won't come up - URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

desbo

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
GB
I managed to to a stupid thing and shutdown the oracle db whilst it was doing a hot backup.

The first error that occurred when I tried to start the database said that one of the table spaces was corrupt. Having googled this it seemed that Oracle may have been lying to me and that i just needed to "alter tablespace xxxx backup no".

I did this and tried to start the db again. This time it came up with "ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced". The suggestion was that one of the control files was corrupt so I tried fixing that by copying them around.

Now I get this error
ORA-01122: database file 1 failed verification check
ORA-01110: data file 1: '/mtmsdb002/oradata/BATH/sysBATH01.dbf'
ORA-01207: file is more recent than controlfile - old controlfile

Now I am really stumped.
Every where I look seems to suggest "backup controlfile recovery" is the option but it is all getting beyond me.

As you may guess I don't know what I am doing.

Help!!!!! Please

Can you explain what this does exactly?

Does roll back or forward or either?

I assume this is done with the database just as it is now not after recovering from backup?

Also, I know, absolutly that no one was on the system when the hot backup was running. I know this because I had thrown all the users off and disabled their access to do other work tis evening. Does that change anything?

All Oracle recoveries are roll forwards. The syntax you will use should be the same regardless of whether you have to restore datafiles from backup. I would only restore datafiles if you try a recovery and it fails because of some sort of datafile corruption. Once you lose the current controlfile, as you apparently have, your options are rather limited.

It's irrelevant that no one was on the system when last night's backup was running. The mere fact that it was a "hot" backup forces you to do a forward recovery to synch up the SCN's in the control file and all datafiles.

But how tdo I decide when to sync it to.

If I sync all log files then I will have the recovered database left in the middle of a online backup.

Sorry to be dumb. It is also late here - 23:38.

Given up trying to fix it.

DB restore is running now which should take just over 2 hours then a roll forward of 885 20MB archive files.

Oh what fun.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Alan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back