Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle database connectivity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlohrey

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
I have to create crystal reports using an Oracle database(know nothing about Oracle). Is the ODBC driver for Oracle something that I must purchase seperately from Crystal? Does it come with all the other ODBC drivers? Is there a guide or manual that could help explain how to use CRW with an Oracle database? And lastly, what is the difference between using the Oracle ODBC and connecting directly from CR to Oracle. Any info or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

You don't want to use the Oracle supplied ODBC, use the CR supplied ODBC for Oracle. The alternatives would be ADO and it's ilk, or Native Connectivity which should be the fastest, in any case, you'll need an Oracle client.

There are *anomalies* depending upon the version of Crystal and Oracle, but I can't speak to those as you didn't share that info, no worries, you'll discover them soon enough ;)

-k

Thanks for your quick response... I'm assuming an Oracle client is some software that would be being used already by the end user for whatever they are doing. I just want to make sure that we cover all parts of what is needed to get them started creating Crystal Reports with Oracle. Again, I thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back