Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Database against Excel File

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopJack

Programmer
Mar 10, 2001
GB
Hello, I'm using Crystal 9 to access an Oracle 8 Database with several hundred thousand records. I want to identify records from this database that do not exist in a specific Excel 2003 file (circa twenty thousand records). I know this is a bizzare request because of the non-index Excel sheet will not be an efficient way of retrieving records.

If I link from the Excel file to the Oracle DB it runs reasonably fast. When I link from the Oracle DB to the Excel file (which is what I want really) it runs extremely slow. I assume this is due to the Excel file not providing a suitable index or a way to quickly look up a key field (I only link on one unique key field). The Oracle to Excel scenario seems to take one Oracle record at a time and have to look through the complete Excel file to decide on an equal join or not exists everytime.

Is there an easy way to speed up this kind of report. I want to avoid having to import/link the Excel file to a database like Access because of logistical reasons.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
If possible, export the Excel data to Oracle.
You can always drop the table you create it after it has been used for what you want to do.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Good idea but I do not have the option in this circumstance to export/import the Excel data to an Oracle database. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back