Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle databade data

Status
Not open for further replies.

assets

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
AU
Can anyone please tell me if mysql is the best way to go.

We had a web site with a oracle database. The people who wrote every thing have been gone for years.

As a background we have 2 sunfire280r servers on for the website and one for the database. the Sun dds only back up 10gb backups ( there is also a appcera shaper).
So my question is getting 500meg of data in a form that I can use on a local PC. The data is stored in a data centre, that is costing too much $5,000 per month.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

The "best" way depends on a lot of things. But MySQL could be an alternative. If the system has been left unmaintained for so long, you will have more problems than a database. HTML has matured, HTML5 is coming, the security arms race went on, and the server-side language your site was written in has probably had a few major upgrades as well.

So I think you are at a point at which you will have to decide to blow off the dust and see what life forms have nested in your server, or to start rebuilding from scratch.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

$5,000 per month sounds like a lot of money. Have you considered hosting in the cloud?. I'm into the Amazon offering at the momemt.
They run MySQL instances (which they fully manage) and Oracle as well.
Check out which lists some Solaris AMI's.
Be really interesd in your thoughts.

Some more info that I found out about the site it is a complex site containing database and GIS driven functions. It uses InforGlue (Java Code) the server uses Tomcat and Oricle database. GIS is ESRI ArcSDE and ArcMS. So a lot of the date is GIS, not Oricle as I first expected.

Yes it been unmannaged for a long time collecting date from clients (200). From what I can see it was developed 8 years ago. some but not all information is in a excel report.

Ah. Good luck riding the dinosaur!

I had similar situations in the past.

I do not know most of the systems you mentioned, so any of them may be oracle-only. Is the data clean? A web site that has left alone might have attracted a lot of spam and other things. It was no joke to mention the life forms in the server.

"A lot of data is GIS". Does that mean it is in another database?

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

Sorry it taking time to put things together. Getting some UNIX people to look at the server found it had 4 other sites once and 4 other datbases. Of what I have not found out as people who developed thjings long gone and the system has just been running. So the problem is getting our data from the mess. Thanks for all the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back