Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle & VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonybd

Programmer
Nov 3, 2002
BE
I am useing Back End ORacle 8 Enterprise Edition.

Do i need Oracle 8 Enterprise edition to be installed when i will distribute my appliction to another computer?

No you do not need the Enterprise edition insatlled on other computers that you distribute to.

You will of course require the Oracle client side software installed however.

The Enterprise edition just contains more tools for managing multiple Oracle databses and such like.

Hope this helps

hi

first thing ur question is not precise and clear. For accssing data u will definately need the oracle server to be installed atleast at one machine, to which u will have to connect through ur VB application for performing database actions like add, delete, update etc... and on the client machines u need to create the same DSN in ODBC as used in ur VB application.

So this is the setting for a multiuser environment. but for a single user or stand alone application u need to have both oracle server and VB application on the same machine but still the ODBC stuff will be required.

And yes he is right just install the client softwared on Client sides.

hth

gazal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back