Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle Agent and Control Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2003
US
I'm no Oracle DBA, but I'm responsible for our Oracle Database backup through Brightstor using an Oracle Agent. When trying to restore to another server in a D/R test it was found that I wasn't getting the control files during the online backup. Why did the Oracle Agent miss these files? When I try to expand the Control File area of the agent it doesn't show me anything...

thanks in advance,

Dave

How is the oracle server set up?

Get Fat Up!

I've opened a call with CA... someone in India called me :) Still no resolution though. I sent them my init*.ora file and a picture of the opened Oracle Agent.

I'm no Oracle expert so I'm no sure what you're asking. Looking through the init file it states where the control files are...but the agent isn't picking them up.

Antlers

When I do a restore I find my control file restore in a different location, normally the first place where oracle was installed, root directory.. search on either control*.* or *.CTL

Get Fat Up!

The control file may be backed up by itself or as part of a full Oracle backup. You cannot back it through the file system or as part of a partial Oracle backup. This is explained in the Oracle agent guide.

When you restore the control file it is restored into the Oracle agent directory. Since the control file contains the architecture of your Oracle server it is the responsibility of the DBA to take the restored file and replace the one in use by Oracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back