Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 9iAS vs. JRUN

Status
Not open for further replies.

comgrit

MIS
Dec 24, 2002
TH
I would like to understand the key differences between choosing 9iAS and JRUN to be an application server.

I'm responsible for deliver an web application that interact with an Oracle RDBMS running on HP-UX. One of the key requirement of the system is to have the web front-end. The company strategic choices are Oracle 9iAS and JRUN.

Personally, I don't have any experience in neither one. But during sourcing the vendor, I have to decide what technology to be used.

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

Today you cannot look at simple features when comparing different products w/o looking at the whole infrastructure. Means you cannot keep your eye only on the single taks(s) you are facing. If you look at the key players in the application server market you will find that none of them (Oracle, IBM,BEA) is offering just a simple application server for several reasons. If you consider just the J2EE engine then you can choose several low budget products. But what happens if you look at the application you're providing - often you have to put this application in an infrastructure context e.g. authentication scenario & user consolidation (LDAP), scalability & performance, process monitoring & management, wireless connectivity and so on and on. What I want to say is that you can buy a simple application server and you may save money for licenses but you're spending a lot more when putting your application in an corporate wide infrastructure.
My recommendation is to put yourself in an helicopter view to see the context - w/o loosing the focus - rather than being an ant. That's what I often see.
Look at to get an overview what will be addressed by the Oracle9iAS. Detlef Mueller

Detlef,

Thank you very much. Your suggestion makes a lot of senses. The more I think through, the more I agree with you.

9iAS and oc4j work great for us, no major bugs yet. (yet being the key word)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back