Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 8i Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

OraCool

Technical User
Jan 17, 2002
CA
I have 121047 recs in a table and have partitioned it on the distinct dept ids (total 13) 'Deptnnn'. I then created a local index on the partition and analyzed the table. Now when I do a select from the table with 'dept=201' (one of the dept's) it shows a full table scan, why does it not show it accessing the 'Dept201' partition?. What is being done wrong here? Some good tips on partitioning would help

partioning will not help in searching like index. infact it speeds up the processes (I/O) and mainly used for backup and restore. The query needs to be changed to use the specific partition to use the partition advantage, eg:
SELECT * FROM DEPT PARTITION(DEPT201);

Dear Programmer

Infact Partition of Table is a Logical Arrangment of Data on ur Disk it increase the performance of DML ,

Ur problem Solution if u want to make fast ur query result u smipy Create a temporay Tablespace and make proper index on ur ID and Manage ur Database Buffer cache and check ur Sort Area assinging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back