Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 8i Installation Roadblock

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshishVinny

Technical User
May 19, 2003
US
Hi,

My laptop had Windows 2000 sitting on it with ORACLE 8i running on it. Recently I was forced to apply Service Pack 3 on it
which screwed so many installations already running on my laptop including my ORACLE installation too !!! My Old ORACLE
services stopped working.
I downloaded ORacle 8.1.7 Enterprise from ORACLE site and tried to install it. Though the installation used to complete
successfully, I could not see any new services in the SERVICES, nor OUI was showing any ORACLE Products installed. I tried number
of installations but none of them worked. Then I went to Windows Registry and removed all the traces of ORACLE completely.
This took care of old ORACLE Services. All the obselete services were deleted. Then I re-installed the Enterprise Edition from
the harddisk unzipped folder. The Installation was successful but NO Installed products again, no new ORACLE services.
It is critical and taking its toll on my other work too !!! Pls help !!

Have you looked at the registary? Try deleting Oracle info from registery and re-installing it again

Ashish, namaste.

I infer from your initial post that you have uninstalled, then re-installed, Oracle including the following:

1) Run &quot;oradim -delete -sid <SID_name>&quot;,
&quot;oradim -delete -srvc <Service name from Services listing>&quot;
2) Uninstall using Oracle installer
3) Confirmed removal of registry entries via &quot;regedit&quot; to remove the following registry entries:
&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&quot; -> &quot;SOFTWARE&quot; ->&quot;ORACLE&quot; (with its subordinate reg entries)

and

&quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&quot; -> &quot;SYSTEM&quot; -> &quot;CurrentControlSet&quot; -> &quot;Services&quot; -> &quot;Oracle...(all services)&quot;
4) Removal of all straggling files that uninstall did not remove from your ORACLE_HOME path, and its subordinate subdirectories.

(Since you indicate trouble from the beginning, I'm presuming you don't have an Oracle database in your target machine that you are worried about preserving. If you do have a database, I hope you have preserved it via either export or full database backup.)

At this point, your machine should be devoid of your previous installation. Now you should be able to reinstall from your Oracle distribution CD/download image. I recommend a default install to ensure nothing extraordinary is taking place.

Is this what you have done? Please advise.

Dave

Thanx !! Dave !!! It worked. SOmehow it was not creating the database. I went al=head and removed the entries for OUI as well and cleaned up the registry and it worked !! :)

Ashish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back