Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 8i Health Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeNel

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
ZA
Hi,

I want to do a health check on my oracle 8i and I do not know what the steps are can anyone help me?

Regards,

Luke

for basic heartbeat I check processes (ps -fu oracle | grep _${ORACLE_SID}) and timestamps of controlfiles (should be newer than system clock - checkpoint_timeout).

for more extensive "health" monitoring you need to separate (&understand differences between) instance from database. instance health is indicated by things like cache hit ratios (db & share pool), # of client processes, etc. while database health is indicated by things like tablespace utilization, extents management of objects, chained/migrated rows (bad), etc.

of course those are just basic examples since there are bazillions of things you can monitor in Oracle and what YOU need to watch depends largely on your application/architecture.

one thing I will say is if you're in it for the long haul learn your data dictionary and v$ views! do NOT use OEM! I may be a dinosaur (at the ripe old age of 33:) but I won't consider a candidate who gives an OEM based answer in a interview (though I will tolerate rman even though I still use my own shell scripts for backups:).

Hi,
There are lot of ways by which you can do the health checkups of your database. You can calculate data hit ratio by querying the dictionary and make an analysis of your database usage. You can also check out the library hit ratio and the library cache access details, by which you will come to know about the access of your dictionary cache details.

Thanks & Regards,
DoubleH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back