Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 8i Client install issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaus

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
US
Hi all,
I encountered a very strange thing yesterday. I had already installed the 8i client on my machine (particularly to get the Forms Runtime to work with 6i developed forms). I created a form for our business users with Forms 6i. I tried to install the 8i client for the Forms Runtime and it would not install. I tried manually running Setup several times and watched the task begin and immediately end with no error messages of any kind. This occurred on 2 desktops. I then began the install on my desktop and it began the install just fine.
We all have Win 2k Pro machines. The main difference I see is that they still have the old Forms runtime (F50run32 under Developer 2000). Does anybody know what is going on? Can both runtimes not exist on the same desktop? I am quite sure I was running both for some time. We all access older versions of forms as well as newer.
Thanks!!!
Gary

I may have found the answer in a thread from a year ago. But, if anybody has any ideas other than the Metalink 'fix' 1507768, regarding Pentium 4 processors, please let me know.
Thanks!
Gary

"I tried to install the 8i client for the Forms Runtime"???

Forms runtime works with 8.0.6 client which is obviously incompatible with 8i.

Regards, Dima

Hi all,
Now that I can initiate the installer, I am not able to find the Forms Runtime for client 8.1.7. I performed the Users install, and it did not install the runtime. Then I tried Custom and could not find it listed anywhere.

Ideas?
Thanks...

Hi,
Which product disk are you using?
The Standard Oracle 8.1.7 Client does not have any Forms or Reports run-times..
Use the Forms and Reports 6i Disk - Custom Install ( or Run-Time install, can't remember the option on that older version) instead..
The client will be the one for the verson of Forms you have installed..You cannot get a 8.1.7 Run-Time for Forms 6i - does not exist..

[profile]

Hi,
I found that out. I obtained a Forms 6i diesk and installed the Forms runtime. We're good to go...
Thanks!

Hey gang,
Another issue arose. I installed the Oracel 8.1.7 client on the desktops thinking I needed it. The 8.0.6 client is also there (a different home, of course). The Forms runtime for Dev 2000 and Forms 6i are in their respective homes. Here is the dilemma:
We have 2 apps created in Dev 2000 that need the Forms 50 runtime. The new one needs Forms 60 because we no longer have the Dev 2000 software to create the forms in. I cannot seem to associate (thru any means) a different runtime with each application. I can either run the old or the new. When I get one working, the other does not. Any ideas?
Thanks!

You really can not associate different runtimes with the same (fmx) type, so you should create shortcuts manually (either for one or for both kinds of runtimes)

Regards, Dima

I have another Oracle 8i client install issue ---

I am trying to install the Oracle Client for WinNT on an NT server that already has Oracle 7 client installed. My problem is when I start setup (or when it autoruns) it comes up immediately (without any input from me) with the following error:

"The path that you specified is invalid. the path that you specified is invalid"

The repetition is correct. the error is in an Oracle dialog box. I have restarted the server and also copied the CD to HDD and run it from there (with same result), but am now struggling with what to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Icytrue

icytrue@hotmail.com

Hi,

I had the same problems and i just copied the entire cd in a directory named as the label of the cd for example.

If you go to the cd drive you will see that the label reads something like OEM8ENT you have to create a directory called OEM8ENT and run the setup

HTH

Hey SEM,
What do you mean manually create shortcuts for each type of runtime? Do you mean create a desktop shortcut for the runtime itself or for the app. I dragged/created a shortcut of each app to the desktop. However, the only way I can open each form with its runtime each time it opens is to have it always open with that runtime and that extension. Perhaps I could try changing the extension of one of the forms. Could you be more specific?
Thanks much!

You should specify command line for each application, e.g.

ifrun60.exe myform6i.fmx

or

f50run32.exe myform5.fmx

Regards, Dima

Hi,
Put the commands where? I see no option under the properties of the shortcut.
Thanks!

Hi,
I may have found the solution. I went into Forms compiler, and converted them. It was difficult with the form that had a menu that called different reports. I had to convert the reports, then add the menu to the menu object within the main form, then upgrade them both thru Forms compiler. Now they all seem to function fine under Forms 60 runtime and Reports 60 runtime. We'll see - stay tuned...
Thanks!

What OS do you use? Command is specified in "Target" field.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back